Final Request

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
For the last week or two, my son, Charlie, has had clunking from his pelvis. Those of you that have followed Charlie's story will know that Charlie had a tumour (Ewing's Sarcoma) in his pelvis at the age of 13. He had a year of chemotherapy and a massive op where a large chunk of his pelvis was removed, nuked to kill the tumour, and then replaced in an 11-hour operation. The clunking emerged in the middle of his Scottish Higher exams. He's been back to hospital for x-rays, then MRI and now he's going for a CT bone scan. You can imagine that these are pretty tough times. Now, Charlie will most very likely be fine (apart from maybe more Ti and screws) because it's probably just a mechanical problem related to his op. But it has reminded me of the living hell we went through the first time around: x-Ray, MRI, CT scan, biopsy, chemo etc.

It's for this reason I do the charity rides I do. I witnessed a lot of things that still haunt me whilst going through our own suffering along with Charlie: other kids screaming in agony, parents out of their heads with worry, and kids that aren't going to make it. And the anguish doesn't end. Mrs MRS has popped a Valium today to help her cope with the stress. Then there's the regular chest x-rays, annual MRI, and other check ups to see what damage the chemo has done to his heart, kidneys, endocrine system etc. I cope by cycling. The day Charlie had his op, I rode the Crow Road (not a great choice in hindsight...). I couldn't go back there.

We are the lucky ones. We know we are.

Get to the point, MRS..

I've had fabulous support from you lot in my fundraising. AD6 is going to be really tough but NOTHING compared to what I've been through. I'll be riding with 1000s who have been there too. I know it's been difficult to donate this year (a big thank you to those that have managed it). For the others who have been minded to but it's a hurdle too far, please just find a cancer charity or cancer JustGiving page (Stephen Sutton comes to mind) and donate there instead. Anything to help prevent others going through this or support those that follow us.

Thank you.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    With apologies in advance for the stupid question, I haven't been on the board much recently (I'm aware of your bonkers challenge though!), so could you link to the thread with the background, how to donate etc...

Good luck!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • meanredspider
    With apologies in advance for the stupid question, I haven't been on the board much recently (I'm aware of your bonkers challenge though!), so could you link to the thread with the background, how to donate etc...

Good luck!

Thanks, Fuggler

Here's the thread

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12969844

But, as I say, I don't mind where anybody donates in support of my efforts just please donate.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Thank you for the reminder, I've been meaning to do something for you and needed another prompt. Put me down for 10 of the raffle tickets, about £25, and I'll transfer the money to you. PM me your details or I can PM you my email address whichever you prefer.
    Have I mentioned you're insane for doing this recently?
  • cloud
    cloud Posts: 62
    I'll just PM you for raffle and paypal info...

Good luck on the 5th :)
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Thank you for the reminder, I've been meaning to do something for you and needed another prompt. Put me down for 10 of the raffle tickets, about £25, and I'll transfer the money to you. PM me your details or I can PM you my email address whichever you prefer.
    Have I mentioned you're insane for doing this recently?

Thanks so much V68 - PM sent
    cloud wrote:
    I'll just PM you for raffle and paypal info...

Good luck on the 5th :)

Thanks too, cloud. Really appreciate it. PM sent too

R
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    10 tickets for me MRS. i fancy me one of those epilators :wink:
    PM me yr bank details or email address for me to sort payment.
  • meanredspider
    bobinski wrote:
    10 tickets for me MRS. i fancy me one of those epilators :wink:
    PM me yr bank details or email address for me to sort payment.

And you, bobinski - PM sent
  • captain_kirk
    captain_kirk Posts: 105
    I've sent you a PM MRS. Thanks for the reminder
  • meanredspider
    I've sent you a PM MRS. Thanks for the reminder

Thanks so much CK - reply sent.

And thank you for all the support I'm getting. I so appreciate it. It gives me a real boost as I'm just preparing to start packing for the Alps. I'll probably do one last long slow ride tomorrow. I'm fighting off a bit of a cold/bug thing so I'm focusing on getting better.

And thanks for the kind thoughts about Charlie. He has a CT scan this afternoon - fingers crossed it's reasonably straightforward. It'll almost certainly mean surgery but hopefully something simple involving a Black and Decker and some self-tapping screws.

Richard
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    And thanks for the kind thoughts about Charlie. He has a CT scan this afternoon - fingers crossed it's reasonably straightforward. It'll almost certainly mean surgery but hopefully something simple involving a Black and Decker and some self-tapping screws.

Richard

Crossed indeed, those gold grippy ones from screwfix should do it proper. Can he get it done via epidural or has to go fully under? I was lucky to be able to have an epi when I had my hip re-done although I did then fall asleep and amused them by snoring quietly...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • meanredspider

Richard

Crossed indeed, those gold grippy ones from screwfix should do it proper. Can he get it done via epidural or has to go fully under? I was lucky to be able to have an epi when I had my hip re-done although I did then fall asleep and amused them by snoring quietly...

Thanks MM. Don't know yet exactly what he'll need. The CT scan is the first thing - then that needs to be read by a radiologist, then passed to the orthopaedic surgeon who will then probably need to talk to the team in Glasgow who did the original job and then we'll get to know what's required.
  • meanredspider
    Just a quick update (and to sing the praises of the NHS).

Charlie went in for his CT today at 2pm (having only been arranged yesterday). He was in and out in around 10 minutes. We've had a call this evening to say he has a fracture in the dead part of his pelvis and they'd confirmed with the oncologist in Glasgow that the cyst they could see was nothing untoward. The consultant is out tomorrow (on call at the weekend) but has given us her number in case we have any questions before she's back.

You really couldn't have hoped for better service even if you went private.

They don't know yet what course of action to take - the orthopaedic guys need to figure that out - maybe nothing but staying off it. They are going to do a lung x-ray just to be doubly sure (he has them regularly as that's where Ewing's will metastasise if anywhere).

Thanks for all your support again. It's 4 years since he was diagnosed - nearer 6 since the symptoms first showed - just to give you some idea of the "journey" involved.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Sounds good, hopefully they'll screw him back together and he'll be on the mend soon. Pleased it's being treated quickly, well done to the NHS.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Hi MRS best wishes to Charlie for a full recovery, makes my troubles pale into insignificance.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sounds good, hopefully they'll screw him back together and he'll be on the mend soon. Pleased it's being treated quickly, well done to the NHS.

This.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • meanredspider
    Thanks folks - I really appreciate it.

And thanks everyone for their support with the raffle and donations.

Only about 20 tickets left!

Richard
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    If you can figure out how I can pay for 'em, I'll have the last tickets in the raffle. Any prizes won will be for you to donate to whomever you wish.

PM sent !

Hope your son is fixed up and back to doing boy stuff soonest.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • meanredspider
    If you can figure out how I can pay for 'em, I'll have the last tickets in the raffle. Any prizes won will be for you to donate to whomever you wish.

PM sent !

Hope your son is fixed up and back to doing boy stuff soonest.

Thanks so much - payment received from Oz! That's all the tickets sold.

Thank you everyone for your support

The draw is planned for Monday night in the Alps
    Results will be posted at http://tyurl.org/e2YNGT and I'll post winners from here on here! Good luck.

But most of all massive appreciation from me for your support and kind thoughts about my son

Richard