Rear axle adj

sargan
sargan Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an old Muddy Fox ...
Had to replace rear tyre, that job done ... and I followed advise of Cycle shop and went up in width of tyre ... unfortunately it is just touching frame on one side at one point during rotation.
Not much just one 'knobbly bit' of tread.

Is the wheel adjustable on it's axle/spindle ... i.e could I move it a couple of mm one way.

Picture of axle/spindle :

20140528-20140528-IMG_0301_zps70d6522a.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No. If it's just one point in the rotation then it's likely the wheel is buckled, in which case the correct course is to true the wheel by adjusting the spokes.

Alternatively the tyre may not be perfectly made or may not be sitting true on the rim all the way round.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sargan
    Rim is true, so must be tyre.
    So I am stuck, or need discard the new tyre.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    cut the knob off.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove tyre and refit, check for any kinks in the bead while it's off and make sure as you inflate that the bead is seated evenly all the way round.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sargan
    The Rookie wrote:
    Remove tyre and refit, check for any kinks in the bead while it's off and make sure as you inflate that the bead is seated evenly all the way round.

Ok ... I'll give that a go.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Are you sure the wheel is central in the dropouts?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sargan
    drlodge wrote:
    Are you sure the wheel is central in the dropouts?

pretty sure ... and it's only one part of tyre is touching ....
    I'll check it again