Upgrades and warranties

Prowlus
Prowlus Posts: 539
edited May 2014 in MTB general
His guys . Right now , I'm trying to convert my camber's weird hybrid of a thru axle and QR into a full thru axle with a new fork and I want to know if it affects my bike's warranty if I want to rebuild my wheel into a Thru axle hub .
I've tried to ask Evans and specialized and they are giving my mixed signals .
Evans(which i bought the bike from) says it will void the warranty but specialized says it won't as the long as the fork chosen doesn't exceed the travel of the frame .
Does anyone here know a clear answer to this?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It would be unlawful to void the warranty on the parts you haven't changed unless they were materially affected by the change, clearly you'll loose warranty and the wheel and forks.

As specialized have said (and it's their warranty not Evans) as long as you keep the fork length the same you keep the warranty on the rest of the bike as it's not materially affected by the change, so they agree with me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The warranty is effectively only for the frame and what you are changing, as long as you are not fitting a ridiculously long fork) should not impact on the warranty. Specialized are supposed to be pretty good on warranties as a rule.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do Specialized sell a higher spec version of the bike with a thru axle?
    If you have an email from Specialized, just keep a copy and I would say that should cover you.
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    Technically yes. All I wanted was a 120mm fork which is within the Camber's tolerances :update: I went to Evans on Wednesday to try to convince them but they still say "no" without damaging my after sales warranty because of a wheel rebuild .
    On a side note they even told me I cannot modify my fuji roadbike's discs to hydros because that will void their warranty too :( . Funny I can mod my mtb's discs without killing my warranty but i can't do that on a roadie. :evil:
    I'm just hoping Evans are becoming as incompetent as Halfords when it comes to warranty policies
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The law on this is clear, unless they can show why a change caused the failure you are claiming for, then they have to honour it, now of course in advance of the failure, no one knows what you may be claiming for, but no mods invalidate a warranty per se, it's just they would mean certain failures would no longer be covered. So your question to them is badly worded and their response wrong......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Evans are worse than Halfords because they pretend to be a proper bike shop.