Traffic Droid . Talk about Gopro overkill!

Prowlus
Prowlus Posts: 539
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
Now I myself have a gopro mounted usually on my two bikes(mountain and road) whenever I take them out for a spin usually to capture stunning scenery or in the unlikely event of a collision but this guy takes the cake !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/1 ... roads.html

Just seen him on channel four's complainer program documentary . Just wondering, are all those gopros heroes 1 to 3) that necessary for capturing bad behavior on our roads?
And to add insult to injury , he actually blew through a red light the moment he launched!

Comments

• BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Controversial he may be, but I tip my hat to the fella for at least trying to take a stand and raise awareness. As long as it's done right, pedantic though it may be perceived, it's not a bad thing to be doing. Particularly as he's also calling out RLJ cyclists, too.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Fair play for taking a stand but -
    The self styled "Traffic Droid" cycles for two hours every day to and from work; once home, he then spends another couple of hours uploading the day's footage to his computer and sifting through for infractions.

I bet he's single.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    His modus operandi does more harm than good, so personally I think he's a liability.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Fair play for taking a stand but -
    The self styled "Traffic Droid" cycles for two hours every day to and from work; once home, he then spends another couple of hours uploading the day's footage to his computer and sifting through for infractions.

I bet he's single.

or trying to avoid the mrs!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Sansa85
    Sansa85 Posts: 7
    I've seen a lot of this kind of footage recently, a friend of mine shared something on facebook about this guy in York who films people, usually drivers and pedestrians, doing something silly. Maybe it does need highlighting but my first reaction is to be annoyed. Yes there are drivers who behave badly, but there are also cyclists. Also, it looks like these people are actually almost causing acidents themselves.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    Yet to watch this but have seem some Youtube clips of outraged self-righteous cyclists (several with genuine reason, to be fair). I'm more of a cross-country type (my commute actually takes me off the road, over a hill and some Common ground) and have occassionally took footage to play beck to myself to see what it is like.
    I was quite surprised to see a car that passed me before turning left look a lot closer on film that when viewed through my own eyes. What I did not see as a problem when actually cycling could well have been interpreted as a left-hook on film.
  • sdavies13
    sdavies13 Posts: 14
    I once went through a pedestrian crossing with a pedestrian on it (wasn't concentrating then couldn't get my spd unclipped) only to be punched by an oncoming cyclist! Almost fell under the following car...
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I am a former cycle commuter in London and rode fairly regularly between London meetings (after a train commute) until quite recently. I know very well some of the road sections on which Traffic Droid films his incidents.

It seems that he and I see things quite differently. I've had a few unpleasant incidents in central London and have been bowled off my bike more than once. On one occasion the malefactor collected six points, on two others no action was taken. On balance, I was happy with that.

Traffic Droid comes across as someone who feels the World doesn't take him as seriously as he takes himself. I cannot help but be reminded of the boy in The Incredibles who idolises Mr Incredible and wants to be a Superhero too... I forget his name, but I see similarities with TD. Lots of similarities.

This new online age means we can all edit and publish our own self-styled super-heroism and this is his way. I fear he looks more pompous, foolish and self-regarding than heroic, but he will have his constituency of supporters who egg him on to even more theatre of the absurd. He doesn't represent me, but he's harmless in a slightly comic way.
  • RedWheels
    RedWheels Posts: 56
    Whatever your opinion of his methodology. The fact remains that the reason why he is doing,and the reason why so many other people have taken to filming infractions,is because our roads, especially in London are not safe. And the law is not on the side of cyclists.

If you want to commit murder in the UK, all you need to do is jump in your car, pick a cyclist and drive into them at speed.

I have been knocked off my bike and severely injured due to dangerous driving, and no action was taken. I have been assaulted, had fag butts flicked at me at traffic lights and many other things.

whats better, filming it? or me smashing their face in with the wrench i keep in my pocket?

You might not like this falla or his methods, but they are born out of a serious issue and at least he is doing something about it.