RS Pike RC 2014

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to possibly get a set of Rockshox Pike RC to replace the Lyriks on my Mega. The ones in that link are only available in 150mm but I would like them running 160mm travel. Does a anyone happen to know if the Pikes use the same 'spacer' system for the Air Spring that other RS forks use? (If so I would just buy them at 150mm and remove the 10mm spacer myself to make them 160mm)
I've had a look through the Service Manual but cannot find anything about adding/removing air spring spacers to change the travel. Only info about the bottomless tokens on page 12.

Any help appreciated as always!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shortened versions of forks I have bought from Merlin (Reba & Revelation) have had short spring cartridges and not spacers so they couldn't be extended.
    Check with Merlin.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    No that's not possible I'm afraid. The damper cart would be 10mm too short.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Okies cheers guys. I'll message Merlin as suggested and find out.

On a side note I couldn't find the RC fork on Fishers B2B website (only the RCT3) as I was going to get them through work but I assume they maybe an OEM thing that Merlin are selling specially? Shame if that's the case!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you need to swap the damper and spring in the legs to change from 150 to 160mm.

the RC fork is OE only and lacks the pedal setting hence why they are selling it cheaply

I got my 150 RCT3 from bike-discount for £500 posted, the 160mm RCT3 is currently £504 although out of stock lol
  • benpinnick
    Rc lacks low speed compression adjustments, it has the same pedal damping capabilities.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    benpinnick wrote:
    Rc lacks low speed compression adjustments, it has the same pedal damping capabilities.

The RC damper makes do with low-speed compression adjustment with Lock setting
  • benpinnick
    Platform = low speed compression. If the RCT3 works the same on the charger as the older forks, which I believe it does, the Open/Pedal/Lock on RCT3 is the effectively (there are some differences in the flow rates to accomodate the LS compression adjustment) same as positions 1, 3 and 5 on RC. The difference is that the RCT3 also has an independent needle metered low speed compression port that is only operational in the open setting.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    benpinnick wrote:
    Platform = low speed compression. If the RCT3 works the same on the charger as the older forks, which I believe it does, the Open/Pedal/Lock on RCT3 is the effectively (there are some differences in the flow rates to accomodate the LS compression adjustment) same as positions 1, 3 and 5 on RC. The difference is that the RCT3 also has an independent needle metered low speed compression port that is only operational in the open setting.

platform is a threshold which requires a certain about of force to break through which isn't the same as LSC
  • benpinnick
    I have a set of RCT3s in my hands right now. By your logic the 'platform' will be on in trail and closed.... that means that in trail mode I should not be able to squeeze the forks easily with my hands right? Otherwise the platform is so feeble it couldnt possibly support a persons weight?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    RCT3 does not have a 'trail' or 'closed' setting as such. In pedal mode the oil to the LSC and HSC damping is shut off with a light threshold. In lock, the threshold is much firmer. The LSC is a more subtle damping adjustment, but it doesn't offer a platform feel in Open mode. There is also a fixed HSC damping circuit.

The Pike RC? Not sure. Not seen one. Could be a Motion Control damper, in which case the blow off is factory set, and at full LSC the damper port is closed. This gives a sort of platform.