"Seatpost still creaking" advice needed

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have a carbon seatpost and have just added carbon paste and torque to 5NM and when I put my weight on it there is still a very slight creak.

Is it normal to still have this creak?

Thanks

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Are you absolutely sure it hasn't got a crack in it?

Also, 5nm is not a lot of force - maybe need to up it a little. A lot of manufacturers list tightening torques below optimum to prevent people over tightening. I bet that bolt could take triple that and still be okay.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Take off seat and clean, copper slip all rails and bolts, reassemble and torque up properly.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • davoj
    Yea I took off the seat post again, cleaned and added paste and still a slight creak when I put pressure on the saddle. There doesn't seem to be a crack either.

Also the rails and bolts are done correctly as we'll.

Any other solution?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Is the creak coming from the seat post or the seat - cracked seat itself (ie if, for example, an SLR) then maybe the carbon seat itself is cracked?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I always put a bit of clear coat around the post so that it is a really tight fit. So you have to twist it to get it in. I use carbon paste as well. You then will not have to tighten so much and it should not creak. You should look for small cracks also. Are you sure the creaking is coming from that area? with carbon frames, sometimes it can throw you off a bit.
  • davoj
    Is the creak coming from the seat post or the seat - cracked seat itself (ie if, for example, an SLR) then maybe the carbon seat itself is cracked?

Thanks for the reply, no crack at all on seatpost, frame or saddle but cleaned seatpost again for the 3rd time and added carbon compound and its seems to have finally cured it...for now!!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I always put a bit of clear coat around the post so that it is a really tight fit. So you have to twist it to get it in. I use carbon paste as well. You then will not have to tighten so much and it should not creak. You should look for small cracks also. Are you sure the creaking is coming from that area? with carbon frames, sometimes it can throw you off a bit.

Wot?! - no bollox :shock:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!