Tight pedal on carbon crank

SamuelRemings
SamuelRemings Posts: 76
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Well, I'm understandably concerned about damaging the carbon but I just can't shift this pedal. I've had these Ultegra pedals for around 3 years, and have always greased them when reinstalling. This time I must have tightened them too much. I've used some GT-85, left it a bit but still, no-can-do.

Anybody got any suggestions beyond the LBS with a longer spanner? How likely is it that it will end up damaging the cranks (very new) thereby making it a pointless exercise? The crankset is SRAM Force BB30 like this...

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com//i ... 00&hei=500

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Are you turning it the correct way?

Anti-clockwise for the drive side and clockwise for the non drive side
  • Yes, thanks anyway.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Use PlusGas or a proper penetrating fluid - GT85 is a light oil in an aerosol carrier. It's unlikely you'll damage the cranks as most cranks have an aluminium pedal thread insert. For a bit more welly, point the crank forward and fit the pedal spanner inline i.e. pointing towards the front wheel. Put your foot on the pedal and press-down as you pull-up two-handed on the spanner.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks fella, will do so.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Take the crank off - allows Allen bit/breaker bar access to rear of pedal (if necessary wrap in cloth, place in vice).

If you're trying the above put the bike in a turbo trainer or get a mate to hold it otherwise you'll more than likely get a shifter in the Gooch. That's the part between your scooter and your rectum, if you didn't know, also known as the tonyblair in some medical circles.

Clean, loads of copper slip, reassemble.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.