Vilano shadow VS gravity liberty 1, which one should I get?

nasty_bike
nasty_bike Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I am new to road biking and would like to purchase a bike, but my budget is $450 tops. Which bike would you go with? If you would like to recommend another bike please do! My only requirement is that is has STI or similar integrated shifters (not down tube). Thanks :)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Never heard of either. Some links might help...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    are you in usa? most, though not all br people are probably uk-based, so may not be anyone who knows them

ay $450 i'm guessing these are likely to be basic aluminium framed bikes with 7 or 8-speed groupset, branded for the local retailer, it's common practice in many markets

depends where you're based, but at least in uk you'd expect to get much better value buying a secondhand bike
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I've not heard of either bike as they're not sold in the UK but a quick look at the specs suggests the gravity liberty 1 is the better specced bike - it has more name branded components, decent tyres, carbon fork etc.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • nasty_bike
    sorry, i am based in the USA and here are the links.

vilano shadow
    http://www.amazon.com/Vilano-Shadow-Road-Bike-Integrated/dp/B00DY0QN7M

gravity liberty 1
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_1.htm
  • nasty_bike
    I don't want to sound annoying, but could I get some help?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    iga responded

i'd agree that of the two, the gravity is the better spec, i'd still recommend looking for a better secondhand one though

like i said, it's unlikely anyone with direct experience of these is on this forum
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nasty_bike
    thanks.
  • FYI if you have not purchased a bike yet. I have the Vilano Shadow. Its a good beginners bike. I didn't know if I would like road bikes or not. I usually only rode my Mt. bike. It was well worth the money. I have put over 2000 miles on the Shadow since getting it. I've done daily short rides (30 miles) and all day charity rides (100+) with no issues. I would suggest taking it to your LBS upon getting it and having it tuned up and having it adjusted to you. The shimano parts are good, not great, but get the job done with no fuss. The bike is light, at 23 lbs, and fast; and handles well. For the price, you just can't beat it for a beginners bike. I would suggest getting new tubes installed when you have it tuned, it comes with some cheap thin tubes, but the Kenda tires a good.
  • nasty_bike
    How do you think it would compare to something like the motobecane mirage s from bd?