edited May 2014 in MTB general
Thought I'd post this here
http://m.pinkbike.com/news/fox-36-float ... -ride.html

Pinkbike seem to like it and says it's on par with the Pike
Nice to see Fox are upping their game

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    hmm so its no better than the pike, Slightly heavier still and louder. The part that will tell now i guess is the price. the 24 is already about 200+ more expensive, if the 36 is more expensive again its still a bust.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The graphics are beyond hideous!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even if it is as good as a Pike it will be much more expensive.
    It needs to be better than a Pike to repair Fox's reputation.
    And the graphics are disgusting :x
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just been reading the BR update. Love how they say that the new stanchion treatment makes them 'much smoother' than before. Wasn't that the point of kashima anyway, 'zero friction'???

I want the see through one.

Do like the RC2 damper.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Yeah the graphics look poor, however I think they will offer other graphics
    I'd still take the Pike over the new 36 due to Rockshox reliability.. but I think Fox are going in the right direction and it was always going to be tough to beat the Pike

The Upgraded Kashima confused me too, I though the point of Kashima was to be the lowest possible friction.. Although I suspect it's more to do with the fact the gold looks good
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    But wasn't the problem the ctd damper? I thought the rc2 forks were always good. That said, I do like the graphics, but no way will the price be the same- normally the 36 factory is like £1050...
  • rockmonkeysc
    A few friends had their Fox 36's and 40's Kashima coated and all said it was a waste of money and made cock all difference. Apparently you can get a bigger improvement with a set of low friction seals for about £25
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The graphics are part of Fox's retro series which are not standard spec and if you do want them are available in a range of colours. I'm liking how people are already writing off this fork. People have been asking for a fully adjustable fork for ages and now Fox have given us the RC2 cartridge in a lightweight fork, with 20mm through axle like everyone's been asking for and certain models with 1'1/8th steerer tubes people are writing it off because it says Fox on it :roll: I dare say if this was a rockshox fork people would be saying it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Just for the record I think the pike is by far one of the best forks on the market ATM and Fox have lost their way a little over the last few years, but if this new 36 is a sign of things to come they could be on the right track, be interested to see what changes they make to the 34 now the 36 is lighter and more adjustable
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    ej2320 wrote:
    I'd still take the Pike over the new 36 due to Rockshox reliability.

Behave! The pikes have had plenty of reliability issues.
  • Thewaylander
    lawman wrote:
    The graphics are part of Fox's retro series which are not standard spec and if you do want them are available in a range of colours. I'm liking how people are already writing off this fork. People have been asking for a fully adjustable fork for ages and now Fox have given us the RC2 cartridge in a lightweight fork, with 20mm through axle like everyone's been asking for and certain models with 1'1/8th steerer tubes people are writing it off because it says Fox on it :roll: I dare say if this was a rockshox fork people would be saying it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Just for the record I think the pike is by far one of the best forks on the market ATM and Fox have lost their way a little over the last few years, but if this new 36 is a sign of things to come they could be on the right track, be interested to see what changes they make to the 34 now the 36 is lighter and more adjustable

No we are not writing it off, it's just we have got used to FOX's ridiculous pricing and very poor service intervals, i've had to replace uppers on several forks once a year even with checking seals and keeping the lubed (replacing oils and so on when needed).

They have some serious history to overcome with a lot of riders, so i think it’s only fair people are sceptical about them it’s no different to you with the SRAM guide or the last model trail brakes, you write them off due to the poor elixir performance but the reveiws are awesome and having used the trail brakes i know they are very good performers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    ej2320 wrote:

Any new design will have reliability issues no matter how much testing and stress modelling is done.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    ej2320 wrote:

like? oh wait my rebound damper is fucked lol
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Fox plus's - LSC and HSC damping, 15 or 20mm axles
    Fox negs - weight, cost, stupid service intervals

people will still buy fox for their "rep" and the kash coating though.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    What I'm most interested in is the lower crown to axle height

Some reports says its as much as 9mm, which would allow me to run 170mm up front without compromising handling

I keep trying to find a reason to change out my 36s, and till now the Pike seemed like the obvious option, but ive read that they get a bit out of shape on really aggressive terrain, which when you run a fork that has to do everything, keeps putting me off (plus i love the 36s anyway)

A new 36 that gets me closer to what the Pike does, with what I currently have in terms of performance, sounds like a good combo to me

Bar any longer term reviews saying they are rubbish, i will be getting some, albeit with the stealth graphics 8)
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    ej2320 wrote:

Okay.. Maybe a wrong choice of words, but if they do go wrong, they seem a lot more user friendly in terms of servicing
  • DCR00
    ej2320 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Okay.. Maybe a wrong choice of words, but if they do go wrong, they seem a lot more user friendly in terms of servicing

having serviced both RS and Fox i don't really agree

yes you can wait longer to service RS forks, but a lower leg service is pretty similar regardless of fork
  • supersonic
    Some reports says its as much as 9mm, which would allow me to run 170mm up front without compromising handling

Have to look what happens at tother end mind. At full compression you are going to be lower down. If you suddenly go over a ledge with the weight on the front and bang through the travel, it can get pretty nervous!

Well there are a few things we know about this fork for sure. It is heavier than a Pike. It is more expensive. But I like that HSC adjustment, and 180mm is something the Pike won't do.
  • Thewaylander
    DCR00 wrote:
    I keep trying to find a reason to change out my 36s, and till now the Pike seemed like the obvious option, but ive read that they get a bit out of shape on really aggressive terrain, which when you run a fork that has to do everything, keeps putting me off (plus i love the 36s anyway)

Can honestly say coming from my 2010 36's i have not felt the pikes struggle in the slightest and in fact be far more confidence inspiring due to the supple nature and no mid travel dive!

The 36 is more of a comparison to the lyric in reality mind where the 34 is what should be up against a Pike all credit to the Pike for being the fork that the 36 is being marked up against.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I never get the myth surrounding service intervals. My old Revs pretty much seized solid after a years use and once TF serviced them they were never right and tbh the performance of the fork was decent at best. My 32's on the other hand are over 3 years old and still pretty much perfect, had a yearly service from Mojo and they come back feeling brand new, heck they even gave me new kashima stanchions under warranty even though I thought nothing was wrong. Lower leg wear on non-kashima forks can be an issue but overall my experience is that Fox forks are equally as good if not better to live with than RS forks.
  • Thewaylander
    Most fox owners i know have had a ton of upper wear issues in next to no time. which is our beef :)
  • supersonic
    I've not had that many Fox forks - the cost has always been prohibitive.

Fair to say you get rogue sets, but tolerances and QC are getting better.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 wrote:

Can honestly say coming from my 2010 36's i have not felt the pikes struggle in the slightest and in fact be far more confidence inspiring due to the supple nature and no mid travel dive!

The 36 is more of a comparison to the lyric in reality mind where the 34 is what should be up against a Pike all credit to the Pike for being the fork that the 36 is being marked up against.

Interesting

Do you do much DH riding on the Pikes ?
  • supersonic
    If you want more stiffness, then Lyrik or the Fox with their 20mm bolt throughs.
  • DCR00
    edited May 2014
    i have some 36s already

stiffness certainly isnt an issue, but they can be a bit harsh on less aggressive terrain i.e. a quick blast round Degla Red

Lyrik doesn't have the same tech (yet) as the Pike though i.e. charger damper and rapid recovery ?

Thought it was only the new Boxxer that had the new damper tech
  • Thewaylander
    DCR00 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Interesting

Do you do much DH riding on the Pikes ?

Only a bit so far i admit, a day up FOD (Which i know is light) and a bit up Cwm. Have to be a bit mindful with a rotator cuff injury im nursing along currently.

But the pike is definitely a good whack stiffer than the 34 which i could tell was giving a bit just hammering out the last bit of skyline decent on a test ride earlier in the year. Seeing that the Pike and lyric are both on a 35mm set up (Again i know it’s a lighter set up but still) i don’t see why people would see it as being particularly less stiff.
  • supersonic
    The 20mm bolt through and extra material in the structure make it stiffer. This is why the new boxxer lowers use the Lyrik set up, and not the new Pike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Doesn't the Pike have 32mm Stanchions?
  • supersonic
    Old one yes. New one 35mm.
  • rockmonkeysc
    My mistake. Still living in the past.
    My old style Pikes were awesome, I was disappointed the new ones weren't more of the same.
  • supersonic
    The Argyle RCT is much the same. In fact, I am sure it is the same as the Pike 424 but air only.

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/argyle-rct