Campagnolo and Shimano compatibility

Kernowrob129
Kernowrob129 Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have a 1980s steel racer which I have been rebuilding from a rusty old wreck. The rear derailleur is a shimano 105 golden arrow (friction shifting) on a nice set of Mavic MA-2 rimmed wheels. The original rear wheel is n pieces having had the rear axle snap and I managed to get hold of some very nice Mavic wheels (one set of tubular GP-4 and one set Open) both of which have campagnolo cassettes (one is a nuovo record the other veloce) - both wheels fit the frame really well (better than the makeshift wheel from cycle surgery) - but the gear shifting is not quite right - do i need to just adjust the reach etc of my derailleur - or do I need a campagnolo rear derailleur?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hmmm, lovely friction shifting simplicity! No need to worry about anything other than the limit screws.

I think you need to be a bit more specific. If you really have wheels with cassettes rather than freewheels then there could be issues about the dropout spacing, the range of the mech in terms of the size of sprocket it can handle, the number of sprockets and then there is simply the condition of the mech - what do you actually mean by the gear shifting being 'not quite right'?

But no, you shouldn't need to replace the Shimano mech all else being as it should be.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The joy of friction shifting is the simplicity of the thing. As long as your mech is aligned vertically beneath the sprockets, you get to fine tune your shifts for silent operation.

As above, what's not quite right?