Quick question on carbon frames

Lancstony
Lancstony Posts: 44
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

Since my previous post I have now got myself down to 18st which is a reduction of just over 2 stone since I started taking things bit more serious with food etc.

Anyway just a quick question, I am looking to possibly treat myself to a nice shiny new bike when I get down to my target weight which is 15st, ones I have seen are carbon framed ones, would being at 15st cause issues with the frame? ie would it be strong enough? or do I have to shift a lot more weight than that to be safe?

Obviously still be some time to go but If I see one I may buy it if it looks a good deal, hoping will provide that extra motivation as well if its there in the garage waiting to be used.

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The frame will be fine it's the wheels that have the weight limit, someone will give you the best option on which route to take.
    Good going with the weight.
  • Lancstony
    Thanks very much, cant say been easy and first time I went out on the bike I did think my time was up but keeping at it does get better, also cant believe how much money this can drain from your pocket!! But its all fun.

Was hoping the wheel issue would go as I reduced the overall lard content but can see why it would still be an issue, fingers crossed been ok with ones I have on my current bike, nothing pinged off but then again not really the shape to be flying around here and there at great speed.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Some companies give weight limits on frames, others don't. For example I've heard Canyon state a max of 120kg on some of theirs. I've haven't seen where they state this so don't take my word for it!
    I'm not sure it really matters if you're looking at aluminium or carbon frames. A lightweight frame in either material may have a weight limit. I can't see why it would be more of an issue for a carbon frame.

As Bozman said the wheels are likely to be more of an issue.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just check with the shop or manufacturer (if buying direct) about any weight limits on the frame, at 15 stone you should be fine I think.

As for wheels, they might not last forever, so use the ones that come supplied with the bike and if/as they wear or fail, look for a nice set of handbuilts for your weight, should cost about £300 for a new set.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Lancstony
    Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated, when the time comes I will make sure I do a bit more digging rather than just going for the shiniest or fastest looking, although that is very hard to ignore!!!!
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Hi Lancstony, I was over 20 stone a year ago and previously rode a trek 2.1 with 16 spoke wheels and did fine. didn't buckle a wheel or break a spoke through weight alone. I'm wiser now and have 2 sets of 32 spoke wheels for extra stability/strength. I'm just about 16 stone now and don't worry about weight limit. I've not ridden on carbon however but my weight wouldn't be a reason to turn one down.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Lancstony
    No think I have been concerned about the frame and ignoring the wheel issue, think saving up a bit of cash and getting some good wheels made up is probably the way to go, then I can ride whatever I want until I no longer have to worry about it.

Cheers again everyone
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Even with decent wheels 15 stone won't be a big issue. It's not that heavy compared to some lanky sorts.