Rear wheel not centred

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
A couple of rides ago, I noticed some of the spokes on the rear wheel on my On One 45650b were a bit loose. Tightened them up and they seem fairly evenly tensioneed around the wheel. However, the wheel doesn't seem to be properly centred; the centre-line of the tread is about 5mm towards the side on the non-drive side; this is evident both at the seat-tube wishbone stays (?) and also at the chainstay. The wheels itself runs straight through a full revolution (ie, its off-centre all the way around).

I've never done any formal wheelbuilding / repair courses, but have tinkered with tightening spokes / true-ing wheels over the years, so am happy to have a go at rectifying this ... but before I get my spoke key out, just wanted to check with people who know more stuff than me!

Does this sound like its not quite dished correctly, or that the spokes on the non drive-side are a little tighter (shorter) than on the non-drive side? (Is that the same thing?), thereby pulling the rim of the wheel towards the non-drive side?

Is it a matter of loosening all the spokes a little (1/8th of a turn?) on the non drive-side, and tightening the spokes on the drive-side by the same amount to pull the rim back into line?

Or is this opening up a huge can of worms for a "little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" person such as me? If so, shall I take it to the LBS, or would this be covered under warranty (the bike is just about 3 months old)?

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A photo would help.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Spokes do not normally have an equal tension left to right. As they are not the same length.

Sounds like you have undished the wheel.

Needs dishing correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kevinharley
    nicklouse wrote:
    Spokes do not normally have an equal tension left to right. As they are not the same length.

Sounds like you have undished the wheel.

Needs dishing correctly.

Just had a quick look at Parktools ... seems that I would need a wheel dishing guage to do this ... or can I do this by loosening the spokes on the left side and tightening on the right (drive) side?

Or, should this be done by an LBS / On One with the correct tools, and with someone who knows what they are doing?

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easy dishing gauge......
    Remove tyre from wheel, refit to frame, bluetac a rule across the chain stays with the bike upside down and use that as your dishing gauge
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kevinharley
    The Rookie wrote:
    Easy dishing gauge......
    Remove tyre from wheel, refit to frame, bluetac a rule across the chain stays with the bike upside down and use that as your dishing gauge

... and dish by loosening nipples on one side evenly, and tightening on the other side evenly .. Yes???
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup,it's better to take it slow, 1/4 turn at a time than try to do it all in one go and risk messing it up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.