Shimano brake Calipers - 105 or Ultegra

mjf1017
mjf1017 Posts: 48
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
After receiving (on this forum) some excellent advice regarding upgrading the Tektra brake callipers on my Giant Defy 1 (the bike comes mainly with Shimano 105 kit) to improve braking performance. I decided to purchase the 105 brake callipers. However, I noticed that for an extra couple of pounds a unit I could buy the Ultegra 6700 version.

Any reason why I shouldn't. I'm expecting a big improvement form Tektra to 105, but will there be a big improvement from 105 to ultegra or will it just be a weight issue?

Thank you

regards

Mike

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    IMHO the efficiency of any braking system has more to do with the quality of the pads rather than the calipers. I had some Forme branded (probably Tektro) calipers on my previous bike that were pretty dire when I first rode the bike.

After a couple of weeks I fitted some Ashima cartridges and pads and the difference was spectacular.

Now riding another build with Shimano 105 5700 calipers and the pads supplied with them and I can't say they are any better than the Forme/Ashima combo.

Spend the extra if you want but I would suggest that the 105's with Ashima or Swisstop pads will do the job perfectly.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If the price is very similar I would try the Ultegra brakes. If it was a big price jump 105's are fine.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I don't think you'll see much difference between the two- you can always look up the component weights so you can decide whether it's worth it.
    As already said, the cartridges will make a bigger difference, but you will probably notice the effect of replacing the cheap calipers as they will probably be stiffer and so provide better feel for modulation.

I'd be wary about Ultegra 6800 though- I believe they have overhauled the design but can only be used with 6800 or DA 9000 levers to provide the correct amount of cable pull.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I changed from Tektro to 6800 Ultegra and the new brakes are awesome - much better than the disc brakes on my cdf!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    but can only be used with 6800 or DA 9000 levers to provide the correct amount of cable pull.

This compatibility chart says 5700 levers + 6800 calipers work fine

http://www.celebrazio.net/bicycling/shi ... ility.html
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    trailflow wrote:

This compatibility chart says 5700 levers + 6800 calipers work fine

http://www.celebrazio.net/bicycling/shi ... ility.html

I've used this combination and they do work fine :D
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The 6800 Ultegras are all you will ever need. Fantastic callipers, great pads as standard, dual pivot and forged... and for silly cheap money.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • mjf1017
    mjf1017 Posts: 48
    Thanks for all the advice. Opted for the 6700 ultegras, they were £30 each from £50 on wiggle compared to £28 for the 105's. I'm sure either would have done the job but for the money I couldn't resist the ultegras.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    mjf,

I've recently fitted 6700 calipers and Swisstop Blue BXP pads to my Defy 0, a big improvement over the O.E. shimano BR-561's the bike came with. Much better modulation and progressive stopping power IMO.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The standard pads in them are really good.

Much better than Campag or SRAM OE pads. They are also very kind to rims and don't sound like they are filing the rim material away, whilst delivering better friction and modulation.

I'm not sure that the 105 callipers are forged so they wouldn't be as stiff as the Ultegras. Good choice!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro