bottom bracket

supersymo
supersymo Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Morning all .first post so please be gentle. My bike currently has a square tapper english thread bb in need of replacing.also the chain set is worn.so is a 105 bb and chain set compatible or will I have to stick to a square tapper. Many thanks Tony

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    The cheapest solution would be a new square taper bottom bracket of the correct type and then new chainrings - I'm assuming the chainset /cranks are still OK ?

If you want a modern chainset though yes there is nothing intrinsic in your frame which means you have to stick to square taper - although I think some old frames have unusual bottom bracket shells - someone more knowledgeable than me can advise on that if you post what your bike is.

I'd also check that the new chainset is compatible with whatever else you have on your bike. Chainsets aren't as problematic as mechs, shifters etc in terms of getting them matched correctly but there might be some issues - again if you post a bit more detail here no doubt someone can advise.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • supersymo
    Thanks for your reply. The bike is made by merida but am unsure of the model.i was thinking of going down the modern chainset/bb route because there seemed to be much greater availability
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You can get Shimano hollowtech chainset and BB cups that will fit in a standard 68mm English threaded BB, no problem. Its exactly what I fitted to my 1987 Reynolds 531 Pro frame - Ultegra in this case.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Octalink will also bolt in which is cheap, effective, last for years and offers access to huge amounts of massively discounted stuff.

Be sure to set fire to the old stuff though.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Merida frame will be English threaded BB. You'll be able to fit any model of 24mm spindle chainset e.g. Shimano Hollowtech 2, FSA MegaExo, SRAM GXP - but rest assured, because of the exposed bearing design you'll be replacing the BB on an annual basis if you ride in the rain.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Or go for Octalink and umpteen options of crank, no rain entry and only a small weight penalty over stuff that breaks all the time.

Option is yours.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • supersymo
    Many thanks for your advice