Campag 10 or 11 speed for winter?

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Morning all. Query re Campag 10 or 11 speed for a winter bike. I have earmarked 10 speed components (mixture of Centaur chainset – power torque, Chorus shifters and rear mech) for a new winter build and I have the 11 speed on my summer bike (mixture of Athena carbon chainset – power torque, Chorus shifters and rear mech). Most of the 10 speed is new and still in boxes as I have bought it over the past few months when prices were good. I am now thinking of putting the 11 speed Athena kit on the winter bike instead and getting some more 11 speed Chorus for the summer bike whilst prices are reduced. The only issue is, if I do that, I will have to lose my handbuilt Royce 10 speed wheels and use some old 11 speed record handbuilts instead. Any views from the forum???? Whichever I choose, I will sell the other to fund the new purchases. The potential 2015 kit has added to the confusion also!!!!

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Jesus the 10speed Campag has got to be more than enough for a winter project. No need to write any more.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Stick with the 10. the only reason not to would be because you wanted Chorus shifters in the new Ergolever design.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I'll buy your handbuilt Royce 10 speed wheels then.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Doesnt the Campag freehub take all 9,10 and 11spd cassettes? I thought it was only Shimano / Sram that needs a longer freehub for 11spd. I have Athena 11 on my winter / touring bike but do tend to very regularly clean the transmission. Big downside is the cost of chains / cassettes - more than double.

As above really - if you have the 10spd parts then i'd fit them. No point spending lots of money on a fancy groupset when the money could be better spend elsewhere no doubt.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    9 speed would be even better and fixed gear ideal for a winter bike.
    M.Rushton
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't think I would use my Record 10sp in the winter, but i do use 11sp Chorus in the winter.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Hard one this. The 10 speed stuff is certainly nice enough for winter use, I think it comes down to (a) what your heart tells you and (b) what you can get for your 10 speed Royce wheels if they really aren't compatible with 11sp.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    drlodge wrote:
    Hard one this. The 10 speed stuff is certainly nice enough for winter use, I think it comes down to (a) what your heart tells you and (b) what you can get for your 10 speed Royce wheels if they really aren't compatible with 11sp.

My winter bike still has the old 9 speed Chorus on it. Don't need any more for a winter bike (apart from the bling factor, of course 8) )
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    neilo23 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

My winter bike still has the old 9 speed Chorus on it. Don't need any more for a winter bike (apart from the bling factor, of course 8) )

My winter bike as Campag 10 speed shifter, Dura-Ace rear derailleur and **7**-speed cassette :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • oldmuthariley
    oldmuthariley Posts: 108
    JAMIE4759 wrote:
    Morning all. Query re Campag 10 or 11 speed for a winter bike. I have earmarked 10 speed components (mixture of Centaur chainset – power torque, Chorus shifters and rear mech) for a new winter build and I have the 11 speed on my summer bike (mixture of Athena carbon chainset – power torque, Chorus shifters and rear mech). Most of the 10 speed is new and still in boxes as I have bought it over the past few months when prices were good. I am now thinking of putting the 11 speed Athena kit on the winter bike instead and getting some more 11 speed Chorus for the summer bike whilst prices are reduced. The only issue is, if I do that, I will have to lose my handbuilt Royce 10 speed wheels and use some old 11 speed record handbuilts instead. Any views from the forum???? Whichever I choose, I will sell the other to fund the new purchases. The potential 2015 kit has added to the confusion also!!!!

Royce hubs will take 9/10 and 11 speed campagnolo cassettes - no need to sell them! 8)