Puncture proof tyres?

2»

Comments

• ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    MichaelW wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    "Puncture proof" tyres will be much heavier and less flexible and you'll lose out on grip, comfort and handling

the heavy duty ones like Marathon Plus ride better in wider sizes.

I,ve been using Schwalbe Marathon plus 25c tyres on my work bike for 18 months now and no punctures. Excellent puncture protection but as others have said it,s a very heavy tyre and performs more like a touring tyre than a race tyre.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • yost72
    yost72 Posts: 51
    Thanks for replies. Sorry for delay, I went away on holiday the day after my post. I have now had a chance to check the source of the punctures. The first was a small cut, clearly something sharp has caused this and I have fixed this one. The second is a large tear and in a different location to the first one which makes me think that I must have inserted the inner tube twisted, maybe explaining the bumpy feeling?

Lots of different and good advice, and based on this, for my requirements, I still think I want some slightly harder-wearing tyres as I like to ride different routes with varying qualities of road surface (which is what caused my first puncture on a crappy little road which nobody uses). I have ordered some Ultra Gatorskins but have some further questions:

1/ I ordered 700x25 Gatorskins based on the spec shown on the Halfords website for my Boardman bike. This was a little naive, and having actually checked the tyres, they state 700x23 - the tyres have been dispatched, but am I right in thinking these will be no good?
    2/ The first inner tube to puncture was 700x18/23C and the inner tube I replaced it with (the one which lasted less than a minute) was 700x18/25C. I assume this isn't a problem if the tyres are 700x23?
    3/ I saw several comments about possible problems if you use levers to put the tyres back in place. I did use levers, and it was still a huge struggle (took about 30 mins!). I think it would have been impossible to do without the levers. What on earth am I doing wrong if most of you wouldn't use levers at all?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If you need to use levers, use levers! Pushing the bead of the tyre into the middle of the rim will make it as easy as possible to put on a tyre but it's often impossible to get them on manually.
    Just try to avoid pinching the tube as you lever the tyre into place.

Most frames will accommodate 25mm tyres. No need to stick with 23mm just because that's what was originally installed. Given the choice I'd use 25mm especially if you're not a featherweight.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I have never had to use tyre levers even with 'diffcult' tyres such as Marathon Plus.
    Do not use your fingers to move the tyre, grip the tyre and rim and roll the tyre using the base of your hand. Also when it starts to get diffcult do not try to get too much of the tyre on at once. Concentrate on the small section of tyre immediately touching the rim. At times it may seem that you are only getting a few mms on at a time but it will get to a stage when the final few cms will pop on.
    I am sure others will say that certain tyres are impossible but I have not found one, certainly not Conti Gatorskins. This is not because I have large or strong hands it's down to technique.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Yost72,

Have a look at this youtube video, may help. Scroll down the page past the 3 touring bikes.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/index.php
  • Grenouille
    Grenouille Posts: 50
    Yost72 wrote:

1/ I ordered 700x25 Gatorskins based on the spec shown on the Halfords website for my Boardman bike. This was a little naive, and having actually checked the tyres, they state 700x23 - the tyres have been dispatched, but am I right in thinking these will be no good?

The 700x25 will be fine, most road wheels will take 700x23 and 700x25.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Grenouille wrote:
    Yost72 wrote:

The 700x25 will be fine, most road wheels will take 700x23 and 700x25.
    It's not a question of what the wheel can take. It's a question of frame and brake clearance.
    Most frames & brakes can handle 25mm.