Rookie Cleaning Bike

AndyPatio
AndyPatio Posts: 76
edited May 2014 in MTB general
I can imagine this will have been asked millions of times but I've had quick search around and can't seem to find the answer I need.

I'm new to riding mountain bikes and I've just recently bought one (Saturday - Carrera Vulcan) I've covered mainly dry trails and roads up until today. I went down some very muddy fields and the bike is nice and muddy :P I've got a decent pressure washer and I'm just wondering if there is places that I shouldn't blast with the pressure washer and should I regrease/reoil the chain after the bikes been cleaned and it's dry?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Avoid any bearings - bottom bracket, headset, suspension linkages. I would keep the pressure low.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • AndyPatio
    I just kept the pressure low on the frame and then put it on a mist around the cassette and both derailleur. Just in the process of drying it off. Cheers for the reply!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I only ever use bucket and sponge, lots of water but under no pressure, the other place to be careful with the pressure washer is the fork seals, especially on the Suntour XCM you have on the Vulcan which can leak in wart just on a wet ride (anecdotally) although it's easy to fix with a simple strip and regrease.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • AndyPatio
    I'll just use the bucket and sponge and scrap the pressure washer. I'm sure I'll do more bad than good haha!
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I find my lazyness prolongs the life of most of the bits on my bike, other than getting the crap off the drive train & lubing it after I dont tend to be too anal about constantly having a showroom finish on the rest of it, every now and then I give things a good clean, but constant immersion in water does no good to bearings etc.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer