Squeaking Sound

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited May 2014 in Workshop
My bike is making a squeaking sound, I think it's coming from the downtube, any advice or ideas?
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    could it be a mouse?

i read on the interweb that it's a known fact that they can infest downtubes

the best solution is to send for the punk kittens, not only will they get rid of the mice, but they'll also entertain you

http://www.rathergood.com/punk_kittens
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    sungod wrote:
    could it be a mouse?

i read on the interweb that it's a known fact that they can infest downtubes

the best solution is to send for the punk kittens, not only will they get rid of the mice, but they'll also entertain you

http://www.rathergood.com/punk_kittens
    I think that website is almost as old as the internet and still disturbing. It must be worth something as an antique by now.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    It's not the bike Arran, it's yer 4rse.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I have owned many bikes over the years and found this to be the cause of a lot of problems.
    I did contact Cannondale about the mouse in the down tube of my EVO but they told to contact the RSPCA. The RSPCA put me in touch with Evans cycles who told me to contact Cannondale. I'm at my wits end I will try the punk kittens.
    Can I get them on e bay?
  • arran77

What, there's a mouse in there :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    arran77 wrote:

What, there's a mouse in there :shock:

There was another dude on here, seemed to talk a lot about mice in his down tube. Sure he said he got a friend to tempt it out using spreadable cheese
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    Tell him to make sure there is a mouse trap so the mice can run straight outta the bottom bracket hole and Shazam.......failing that wear a pair of bovver boots and stomp on the bleeders.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I have owned many bikes over the years and found this to be the cause of a lot of problems.
    I did contact Cannondale about the mouse in the down tube of my EVO but they told to contact the RSPCA. The RSPCA put me in touch with Evans cycles who told me to contact Cannondale. I'm at my wits end I will try the punk kittens.
    Can I get them on e bay?

You should post this several times across multiple sub-forums. It might help move the mouse on.
  • pinno
    Can I get them on e bay?

Take out the seat pin and suck the fecker out.
  • arran77
    Can I get them on e bay?

I'd recommend GT's mum for that, she can suck like nobody's business.

tuneskyline head over to the Crudcatcher and ask for her.

seanoconn
  • pinno
    arran77 wrote:
    Can I get them on e bay?

I'd recommend GT's mum for that, she can suck like nobody's business.

tuneskyline head over to the Crudcatcher and ask for her...you might have to join a queue
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just don't wash The Old Man for a few weeks and mouses will come out himself searching the cheeses smell.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Squeaks and creaks are hard to isolate- I usually just start checking the easiest and obvious culprits first. I once drove myself crazy trying to find a creak, only to realize it was my shoe cleat!
    Check, clean, and (very lightly!) lube your seat post and saddle rails, and insure everything is tightened properly. If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at the bottom bracket next- chase, face, never-seal, and reinstall
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I've had a quick look on Mumsnet, but they all seem to go on about rabbits in holes, rather than mice. No help there.
  • pinno
    Squeaks and creaks are hard to isolate- I usually just start checking the easiest and obvious culprits first. I once drove myself crazy trying to find a creak, only to realize it was my shoe cleat!
    Check, clean, and (very lightly!) lube your seat post and saddle rails, and insure everything is tightened properly. If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at the bottom bracket next- chase, face, never-seal, and reinstall

Erm...
  • I have owned many bikes over the years and found this to be the cause of a lot of problems.
    Can I get them on e bay?

idKk8BX.gif
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles