Shiman deore lx brake problems

Ripontiger
Ripontiger Posts: 14
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,
I have had this issue for a while and tried what I can think of to cure it but with no success.
My rear brake doesn't grip well and only slows me down a little. As well as this there is a huge squeal from the brakes. For example, if I was riding on a loose surface and pulled my brake lever fully, I would not skid, but slow down gradually with a huge noise from the brakes.

Please help as it's driving me mad!

I have tried cleaning and sanding the brake pads (they have been changed too) and the rotor as well as bleeding the brakes but these have had no effect at all. The brakes don't feel spongy but there is a lot more travel in my rear brake than the front which is fine and just about all I can use to slow myself down.

I am prepared to replace the brakes if I need to but I'd rather not spend so much money,

Thanks for your time and expertise!!

Andy

Comments

• Ripontiger
    That's Shimano, obviously :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What are you trying to clean them with?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ripontiger
    I've tried sanding the pads with wet & dry as well as IPA for the rotor as well as other cleaning products (standard bike cleaners)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the pads are contaminated, that won't fix them.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.