UST tyres on Stan's Rims

Soulmonkey
Soulmonkey Posts: 25
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone else lost the will to live trying to install UST tyres or "Tubeless Ready" tyres on Stans Rims?
I've used Stans Arch for a while, non-tubeless, and found them to be great, durable rims. Upon making the move to tubeless, and also simultaneously setting up a new stans/hope wheelset for girlfriend, I've tried Nobby Nic TR tyres and Conti Trail King UST, and destroyed a good deal of tyre levers and rim strip (yellow tape) in the process. I did get them on in the end, but having to remove due to valve seating problems got me thinking that God is going to need to intervene if I ever need to stick a tube in whilst out on the trail and not in contact with gallons of soapy water and about ten tyre levers!! I'm using sturdy blue park levers btw, not bendy black ones.
It seems stans rims are fine for "normal" tyres, but anything UST or TR is just too tight a fit.
Anyone else have these issues? Any solutions? I'd really appreciate some help here!
"Don't worry about what the world needs. Find what makes you come alive, then go do that. Because the world needs people who have come alive."
Howard Thurman

Scott Genius
Titus FCR
Genesis Equilibrium
Carrera Chrono

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    the rims are not designed for UST tyres. Get a different tyres. Like you say - you really want that grief out on the trail?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've never had a problem with any Tubeless Ready (mostly Specialized 2Bliss) or Lust tyres on my Flow EX. They're a little tighter than some normal tyres but I've found the Flow EX to be one of the easiest rims for tyre fitting and removal.
  • Soulmonkey
    Felix.london - thanks, I thought that must be the case. At least I know I'm not going mad now!

peter413 - yeah, a few people have said the Flow is ok, but more seem to have issues with arch and crest. Don't know why stans would make different rims with different tolerances, but I guess the intended usage is different, so that's a possibility.
    "Don't worry about what the world needs. Find what makes you come alive, then go do that. Because the world needs people who have come alive."
    Howard Thurman

Scott Genius
    Titus FCR
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Carrera Chrono
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I find the arch ex and crests easier than the flow ex usually.

Are you using the fat park levers or the slim ones? (TL1 vs tl3)
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    No problems fitting Schwalbe Nobby Nics onto Stans Crest rims - little tight the first time but after that a doddle. Use plenty of soapy water to get them on? :D
  • scatty76
    scatty76 Posts: 23
    I had the same problem with Maxxis Crossmark LUST tyres on Shimano MT65 wheels(See my previous thread). I could only get the bead 2/3's of the way over the rim, and I swear I nearly broke my fingers trying(with levers!).

Then I tried a hair-dryer!! It was like night+day getting them on. Obviously only heat them a little as they will expand a lot with only gentle heat. Heat the whole tyre bead/sidewall area, and also keep the hair-dryer close to hand for getting the tyre over the last bit of rim.

I have read about loads of people having the same problem on many threads/web-sites when they are new to tubeless/UST rims, and especially so when it comes to brand new tyres, but the replies mention they become a LOT easier after they have been ridden on a bit, i.e.not brand-new...

So hopefully they wont be such a temperamental biatch if you need to stick a tube in out on the trail!

Hope that helps...

:)
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I had serious issues with TR Nobby Nics and Crests. Also impossible to get Geax tubless tyres on.

Used lots of non tubeless tyres (Maxxis, Geax, Schwalbe, WTB, On One) and had no problems. I have a non tubeless Maxxis running tubeless at the mo. Stams rims are designed so you get a tight seal with any tyre so you can run tubeless. Tubeless specific tyres are designed with the same idea so the combo of the two makes it impossibly tight.
  • Soulmonkey
    Thanks for the info peeps.
    Seems a range of experiences here.
    The Nics are now on and sorted - seems after several ons and offs whilst getting the tape/valves right and it loosened them up a bit. Still tight, but do-able.
    The Trail King LUST is still hardcore-tight, so maybe it's new tyre time.....
    Howard Thurman

Scott Genius
    Titus FCR
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Carrera Chrono