I hate Garmin

dizarch
dizarch Posts: 152
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Can anybody suggest why my computer can no longer detect the pile of cack that is my Garmin Edge 800?

Everything was fine just two days ago.
Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050

Comments

• munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Have you tried switching it off and on again?

(Couldn't resist, but in all honesty this has worked for me before now...)
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Mine has done the same last week (with the whole of my LEJOG data on it!!). Garmin recommended i tried to force it to go into "Mass Storage Mode" first.

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

If the device isn’t going into Mass Storage mode, we can force it into this mode, to do this you will need to follow the steps below:

Ensure the device is off and no cables are connected to it.
    Press and hold the LAP/RESET button.
    Connect the device to the computer at the same time as holding the LAP/RESET button.
    When the device is recognised by the computer, release the LAP/RESET button.

Within around 30 seconds this should mount as a drive on the computer. It may ask you to install the relevant USB Drivers, you will need to select NO, Not at this time and select the option to install the USB Drivers automatically. When it is recognised you will need to update the software on the device."

That didnt work for me so is most likely to be a failed USB port (probably got damp) so i've ordered a replacement rear body from ebay after a post on here this week. I should have it in the next couple of days - cheaper than Garmin's £75 charge for an exchange unit. Just hope it works!! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Edge-800-Back-Body-Case-with-USB-Connector-Board-and-Gasket-/251530288732?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item3a905f9e5c
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    munkster wrote:
    Have you tried switching it off and on again?

(Couldn't resist, but in all honesty this has worked for me before now...)
    The technical term is recycle the power.
    Did you try another cable, is it still charging?
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    We found that we could no longer link to ours via Garmin Connect last week. We had to download a piece of software called 'Garmin Express' and access it through that.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Try different USB cables - I've no idea why, but I have certain cables that are intermittent with my Garmin 800 and others that work every time.

Also, I take it you've been out in the weather due to your challenge. Has some water creeped into the USB connector on the 800? Let it dry.
  • dizarch
    I think it got wet yesterday because my i-phone is completely fooked and is currently sitting in a bowl of dry cous cous in an attempt to extract the lingering moisture.

I've tried switching it on and off and I've tried three cables so will stick it in the cous cous and then examine the other suggestions later this evening.

Thanks folks.

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    marcusjb wrote:
    Try different USB cables - I've no idea why, but I have certain cables that are intermittent with my Garmin 800 and others that work every time.
    +1.

It took me quite a while to realise it was this. It drove me mad - reboots, device manager rescan, different USB sockets.... now I have two cables I use all the time for the Garmin and I haven't had a problem since.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ahhhh, technology eh - innit brilliant?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gsej
    gsej Posts: 34
    marcusjb wrote:

Same with me. I've got loads of USB cables in the house. Some work with the garmin, some don't. Not sure why, but that's the way it is.
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    If it is wet....don't turn it on until it is completely dry - this will avoid short circuit damage.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    lpretro1 wrote:
    We found that we could no longer link to ours via Garmin Connect last week. We had to download a piece of software called 'Garmin Express' and access it through that.

+1

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

once installed it is actually much better and automatically syncs when it is plugged in, you dont have to go t the website.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dizarch
    I tried that too......no luck. I've resorted to taking pictures of the activities menu just to prove I've been out!

• curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I ordered a new cable from Garmin and now it works fine. Some cables only allow it to charge