Aru is the new Pantani?

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
edited May 2014 in Pro race
There is something about the way he rode and attacked that reminded of Pantani... neither Quintana, nor Froome or any other good climber, except maybe the best Contador, make me jump off the chair... but this guy seems to have something special... maybe it's just riding a bigger gear rather than mulling a small one at 120 rpm like Froome does... :roll:
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    He's very dynamic on the bike. When he accelerates you can really see the effort, almost like he's throwing himself up the hill. No head down and spin it real fast here.

Astana posted a youtube video of his climb yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-R-s3LUg1E

(not sure on their choice of music though...)
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    No.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Can't see it myself. Aru moves his head much more. Pantani is lower too, especially out of the saddle.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    If anyone was channeling Pantani yesterday it was Deignan, climbing on the drops.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    No, Aru needs a gimmick.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    euro-pop remix of Born to Run. What are they thinking?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    maddog 2 wrote:
    euro-pop remix of Born to Run. What are they thinking?

It's mixed with one direction 'what makes you beautiful'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    My theory is that the climbs look different because we don't have a strong team bossing the whole thing. There are lots of individuals so performances tend to stand out.

Aru was good for sure. But I hope we need to recalibrate what makes us jump out of our chair with excitement. Pantani shouldn't be the yardstick for that
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Pantani is for me the Berlusconi of cycling - utterly corrupt but inexplicably adored by millions. I just don't get it.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pantani is for me the Berlusconi of cycling - utterly corrupt but inexplicably adored by millions. I just don't get it.

Just like 99% of the others at the time, you mean?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Some resemblance maybe, but no not a Pantani. Marco was the most exciting and the most sublime. He was a troubled genius - he'd most likely have been an addict irrespective of his job. And yes it takes one to know one. He had no one to help him kick it all - and was not one of the few who can do it alone.

Incomparable.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Do those teeth help him suck more air in :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Joelsim wrote:

Spot on. Perhaps some posters on this site should do a google and they might the comprehend just how many riders have been caught using PED''s. It's fu%%ing loads including Merckx. The only argument you can make is that one rider could respond better than another to PED's. Seeing some of the footage of Pantani, he was very impressive at his peak. You have to have some kind of talent to climb that well.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Joelsim wrote:

Spot on. Perhaps some posters on this site should do a google and they might the comprehend just how many riders have been caught using PED''s. It's fu%%ing loads including Merckx. The only argument you can make is that one rider could respond better than another to PED's. Seeing some of the footage of Pantani, he was very impressive at his peak. You have to have some kind of talent to climb that well.

:lol::lol::lol:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Joelsim wrote:

Some posters might comprehend that other posters aren't quite that naïve. The response I have to watching any of Pantani's 'great feats' is just a queasy uncomfortable feeling of seeing a f**ked up man swindling his way to achieve tainted glory that ultimately leads to Rimini. I just don't get what's to love about it, but whatever turns you on.

The only riders I really liked before Pantani's era were Kelly, Fignon and Mottet. It seems at least two of those three had a dabble but doping from the era they were at their peak just wasn't the same was it? Hypocritical maybe, but watching them I don't feel the same way as watching Pantani being celebrated yet again. Blood doping was a giant leap.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    meagain wrote:
    He was a troubled genius - he'd most likely have been an addict irrespective of his job.

Troubled, maybe. But he wasn't a genius.
    The only argument you can make is that one rider could respond better than another to PED's.

Or they were taking more?
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    meagain wrote:
    He was a troubled genius - he'd most likely have been an addict irrespective of his job.

Troubled, maybe. But he wasn't a genius.
    The only argument you can make is that one rider could respond better than another to PED's.

Or they were taking more?

Spot on.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    smithy21 wrote:
    No, Aru needs a gimmick.

As long as he doesn't do that slow down and look at your opponents in the eye b*ll*cks that seems to be the in thing with Bertie and co.

He could throw some sardines at his opponents as he passes them maybe...