Stopping to help - do you?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
Yesterday I had a bit of a saga when the fairy paid me a visit. :evil:

My mini-pump snapped off the valve on the new tube, leaving me stranded with a half-inflated tyre in the middle of nowhere.

It was only by the kind intervention of some people in the village of Aldbury (which is lovely, BTW) that I was able to carry on.

BUT: whilst I was stranded, at least 30 cyclists went past, and not one - NONE - stopped to check if I needed help - which I thought was a 'rule of the road' - I always stop to check that a cyclist in need is OK.

Am I being over sensitive??? Or are people getting less friendly and helpful???

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Their are so many new cyclists that they don't know "the rules of the road." Ask yourself how these rules are learnt/taught. Mostly by enthusiasts that join clubs or spend time on cycling forums. Not everyone does that, they just buy the bike and kit and go and ride

I've only stopped once to help someone, and on that occasion they flagged me down. On other occasions I've asked stopped cyclists if they needed help but they've waved me on, with a"thanks for asking."
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    mrfpb wrote:
    I've only stopped once to help someone, and on that occasion they flagged me down. On other occasions I've asked stopped cyclists if they needed help but they've waved me on, with a"thanks for asking."

That's what I mean - just asking "are you OK?" - I've only ever actually had to stop once, ironically in the same village where someone helped me (Aldbury) - Karma! :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If it is a solo cyclist - I always ask if they need anything. I won't stop specifically, but will slow and ask them.

If it is a group that look like they know what they're doing - less likely to (I am not sure if I can define 'look like they know what they are doing' but if they are getting on with it, I'll assume they have what they need).
  • Did they wave as they went by should really be the question though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    If some one is stopped on their own I normally ask if they're ok, but have had several people give me a very strange look in response :roll:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I was in the back of beyond on saturday - like really, really back of beyond: look for the gradient arrow in the middle of the map - when my chain snapped (pretty much the first time I got out of the saddle on the day). I set about fixing it, but was pleasantly surprised that in the five minutes it took two cyclists and three cars stopped or slowed to ask if I was OK. That is, all the traffic.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd expect to be waved down if help was needed - and I wouldn't expect anyone to stop for me if I didn't wave them down. I'm not going to stop for every cyclist parked by the roadside unless they really look like they need help.

I did recently stop for some woman who had jammed her chain between the rings and chainstay. She kept going on about me perhaps bumping into her husband who was also cycling on the roads in the area. She nearly left me before I'd even packed my kit back up. I suspect she thought I was intending on ravishing her or something after I'd fixed her chain......... At that point in the ride all I wanted was a cup of tea........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    bompington wrote:
    I was in the back of beyond on saturday - like really, really back of beyond: look for the gradient arrow in the middle of the map - .

I've yet to find one marked on the road on a steep hill, although I have seen loads in various places on flat motorways.
    Figure that one out. Maybe someone moved them all to the motorways one night for a prank?

I generally ask "all OK" or "need a hand" if I see a one or two stopped. If it's a group then generally leave them to their own devices.

Also in a curious set of coincidence I had to free someone's chain that was stuck done beside the cassette in Aldbury the other day. They were with our group though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo, that's the climb to the Lecht from the east, the bottom ramps are up to 23% and it's a long and fairly robust climb.

Bompington, glad folk asked to help you as that is a pretty remote area. I think that's the difference though compared to more urban areas, but people tend to be a bit more switched on in that part of the world. I'll always slow down if someone looks like they're in difficulties although as Fat Cat says you sometimes get some funny looks. I see that as an issue with them rather than me though :D
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    If someone looks as if they are in trouble, I.e. puncture or mechanical, I'll ask them if they need help, never know when I might need the same, though usually I rely on a phone call to the lovely Mrs CR if I am stuck.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'll always slow and ask if they have their wheel off/bike upside down, even if all I can do is offer my phone so they can get a lift. Some times people are ill prepared but this could be the lesson and they may help someone else (like me) one day. Others are unlucky, triple puncture, just forgot to pack there tool bag.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I always help female cyclists in need of assistance. Alas, there aren't enough of them.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Yup, I usually stop and ask. And the question is "Have you got everything you need?" because that's a good way of asking without it sounding patronising. I'm capable of fixing my punctures, but only if some son hasn't nicked a vital piece of kit out of my saddlebag.

The exceptions would be if they were in a group or looked so unfriendly that I wouldn't want to stop, but that's a very outside chance.

I've stopped to put a chain on for a kid who hadn't got a clue about his bike, and I've stopped and repaired a puncture for a young lad who was walking his bike along a country road. He was quite amazed by this, partly because I managed it in under ten minutes and partly because i'd stopped at all. He said "not everyone would stop and help", when I pointed out that this was the norm he was surprised* , he offered money for the fix but i just said that he should pass on the favour.

*more surprised than me to find that perhaps it isn't :(

edit; I have stopped when in the car too and offered forward transport.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    I think it's the way with everything now, as with the passing wave/hello to fellow cyclists, some will, some won't. Personally I'd always stop. The way I see it, I'd be annoyed if someone didn't ask me if I was alright if I was stopped by the roadside. I also carry my spare track pump in the boot of my care, along a couple of basic tools, just incase I see someone when I'm driving.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes I always stop and ask if a cyclist is OK if they appear to have a problem. Only had to actually help a couple of times, once was a young guy who didn't know how to fix a puncture and was facing an 8 mile walk home pushing his bike. I punctured the other day up in the Peak and it was only the 4th cyclist (all on road bikes, proper kit etc) that stopped and asked if I was OK and he was someone in my club ! I was quite disappointed to be honest - even if you go out equipped a pump can fail or whatever it only takes a shout of "are you OK" - as it happened I was OK but even so.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've asked cyclists on occasion if they're OK, but I don't always. Most of the roads in my area are quite busy so if they really are in trouble, there's plenty of opportunity to flag someone down.

Its different if you're riding in the middle of no where and see someone trying to fix their bike - then a quick shout out is called for.

I would expect, however, that all cyclists go out prepared. If they cannot help themselves to fix a puncture or call for help then they should know better. The only exception is if you're in an area with no mobile signal and have a severe mechanical.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    It seems people must be taught to be civil, never mind friendly. Most "competitive" cyclists are deeply unfriendly and charmless and don't stop, because they don't think. Very few offer any greeting out on the road (apparently this would be a sign of weakness). Sad, but a phenomenon of every place where tribes gather.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    marcusjb wrote:
    If it is a solo cyclist - I always ask if they need anything. I won't stop specifically, but will slow and ask them.

If it is a group that look like they know what they're doing - less likely to (I am not sure if I can define 'look like they know what they are doing' but if they are getting on with it, I'll assume they have what they need).

+1
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Luckily round my way if you are stopped most cyclists ask if you are OK. Maybe I just look like I need help ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    If I see someone who looks to be having problems I'll ask if they are OK. I've had the broken pump thing happen too and several people rode past. I ended up flagging a small group down in the end.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    edited May 2014
    Always slow down and ask, if they don't want/need it then I carry on.

Of course there is the counter that a great many rides simply stop in the middle of the road, blocking all traffic, not actually helping but making sure that NOTHING is going past. Yes, Fareham Wheelers, I'm looking at you!

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I was driving around with my bike rack on my car and stopped to take a cyclist with a puncture (and no kit) to a shop in the nearest town (I was going past it anyway).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mjf1017
    mjf1017 Posts: 48
    I stopped for a young lady cyclist who had a puncture. She'd just bought a second hand road bike and was cycling a huge journey and was very unprepared. She had no puncture kit at all. So I repaired the puncture and sent her on her way with a puncture kit, levers and a (repaired) inner tube.
    Felt like a proper samaritan and left me feeling good about myself (not smug) for a week afterwards. Would always stop to help now.
    We are very vulnerable out there and need to support each other.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I generally slow right up and ask solo strugglers "ok mate?" but tend not to bother for any more than two.
    Me and a mate stopped for a young lad (in all the cycling gear, not a scally :roll: ) pushing his bike with a flat tyre, whilst on the mobile. He just looked a bit nervous and said "I only live 'round the corner" and carried on walking. God knows if he thought we were going to mug him or something!? :shock: :D
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Stop and ask about help. I've met people who are attempting to fix a puncture without success, people are often slow to request help and standing with a thumb out hoping that a cyclist will pass seems a bit futile if there is any way the puncture might be fixed without help.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    mjf1017 wrote:
    I stopped for a young lady cyclist who had a puncture. She'd just bought a second hand road bike and was cycling a huge journey and was very unprepared. She had no puncture kit at all. So I repaired the puncture and sent her on her way with a puncture kit, levers and a (repaired) inner tube.
    Felt like a proper samaritan and left me feeling good about myself (not smug) for a week afterwards. Would always stop to help now.
    We are very vulnerable out there and need to support each other.

yes.

The older I get, the better I was.

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Slow down and ask, but hope to god they don't actually need my inept mechanical skills
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    How about in a sportive?

There was at least 40 riders with mechanicals or punctures etc, on one i did last year i reckon over the 100 miles, most were alone.

Normally I stop & offer to help but i didn't bother to stop for the sportive riders 8) .
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    Surely just asking if it's all in hand is just "the done thing"? Maybe as I come from a motorcycling background where checking if a stranded rider is ok is the norm I do the same thing on my cycles? I've had the split in the spare tube scenario and it wasn't fun, although several motorists stopped to make sure I was ok (7:30pm on a winters night in the middle of nowhere) but my house mate was en-route to the rescue.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    matthew h wrote:
    Slow down and ask, but hope to god they don't actually need my inept mechanical skills

Yip, that's me too... :lol:

Or maybe it's me saying - 'Do you want to share my Skabs...?' that puts them off. :shock:
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    I usually slow to a crawl and ask if everything is OK. Only one did I actually stop and help, oddly enough it was my mate from round the corner trying to inflate a tyre with an empty CO2 canister.

Around here most people ask as soon as anyone is stopped, but then we also say good morning to each other and wave to people on mountain bikes too :D