Rear wheel seems too close too the frame.

stonflo
stonflo Posts: 21
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Can someone help or reasure me on this. The opposite side of my rear wheel seems to me to be too close to the the frame. Then strut that the skewers hold the wheel on. Its about 1/2 inch gap. The gears change ok and there is no noise as such when riding and the wheel is not rubbing on the frame. As you will have guessed I'm not very mechanicaly minded. The bike is a Giant Defy 5.
Thanks Mike

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    One would think the wheel is out of dish, but I have noticed on loads of modern frames (especially Cervelo) that the dropouts are somewhat defective and the wheel does not sit in the middle of the rear triangle.
    Half an inch seems a lot, try to re-fit the wheel or take it to your shop
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    With the bike on the ground undo the quick release and then tighten it at the same time as putting weight on the saddle. This will ensure the wheel is right in the drop outs. Now check that the wheel is centred in between the chainstays (the two thick struts that run almost horizontal from the bottom bracket to the wheel hub) close to the bottom bracket (the junction at the bottom of the frame where all the tubes meet and holds the pedals and cogs). Not sure what you mean by 'the opposite side of the rear wheel'?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • stonflo
    stonflo Posts: 21
    Sorry. The side opposite the gears.