Commuting road bike

DennisMadsen
DennisMadsen Posts: 14
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I have been looking for a new road bike. I'll use it in the summer for a ride or two each week. Maybe a competition or two each year. In the winter I'm doing MTB.

Further, it would be great, if I could commute to work on the bike (2x25km). Not every day, but also a day or two each week in the summer months.

I've been looking at these two bikes:

For the road biking I would like to go for the SL, but I'm unsure if this is too "good" being used for commuting?

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Out of the two, I would probably also go for the SL, mostly because it looks like a cracking spec for the price. When it comes to commuting, you probably won't notice any difference in performance between the two, and they will require pretty much the same amount of tlc (a fair amount in wet conditions!) although the Ultegra components such as cassette and chain will be more expensive to replace than the 105 versions. Next year's 105 will be 11 speed though, so you'll probably be able to pick up compatible chains and cassettes a little cheaper than you can at the moment.

Personally for a 'do it all' bike I'd probably lean towards a decent cyclocross bike and put a set of road hoops on it. The frame at least will take more punishment, and might be more comfortable with really wide tyre clearance. As long as you avoid disk brakes they're perfectly fine to race on- I had a friend who's Scott CX came out lighter than his full carbon Kyota and took it to the local crits.