Cycling club/new carbon bike

Boardmanboy
Boardmanboy Posts: 24
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I've had my Boardman Urban MTB Team for 2 years now and love it but I still find the gearing too low - I've done a couple of Sportives and think I need to get a more suitable bike. (its performed v well on road considering its classed as a mountain bike lol)
I'm thinking of joining a local club too to join in with a few social rides but I'm a bit nervous as the local one seems a bit "Race" orientated.
I think a sensible limit is £1000 so I've been looking and spotted this bike battaglin-pro-team-105/ for £979.
It sounds great but I'm not sure if its 'too advanced' for my abilities and if it will give too harsh a ride (its described as aggresive).
I'm hoping it will be more comfortable than my alloy Boardman for the longer rides I plan.

Soooo - any advice regarding "go get it" or better choices would be much appreciated.

Comments

• 29black
    29black Posts: 24
    There are quite a few threads on bikes at around that price mark, certainly Planet X and Ribble come to mind as well as Boardman's which I am (and judging by your username) you are as well. Shop around and pick a shortlist, then pick what one you like the look of the most!

You could always go second hand as well if you don't want to throw all your eggs in the basket, but gearing is easy enough to sort as cassette's are fairly reasonable.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Aggressive refers to the position. Ride comfort is mostly governed by the tyres 1) TPI of the casing, 2) width and 3 pressure.

A race orintated club will have disiplined rides for training but even clubs that have members that race will have social rides. It sounds like a good club to me.

A frame that fits is the first thing to look for the frame material is not something to worry about much.

the OP has an MTB so chanhing the cassette won't fix the problem it is an MTB.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Aggressive refers to the position. Ride comfort is mostly governed by the tyres 1) TPI of the casing, 2) width and 3 pressure.

A race orintated club will have disiplined rides for training but even clubs that have members that race will have social rides. It sounds like a good club to me.

A frame that fits is the first thing to look for the frame material is not something to worry about much.

the OP has an MTB so chanhing the cassette won't fix the problem it is an MTB. They all have 11T start cassettes!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.