love or money. your thoughts please

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
edited December 2014 in The hub
So I have been offered 2 jobs at the same time. One is for an agricultural engineering firm for much better money than im on now but with an hrs commuting each day. Or i have been offered a job at my Lbs as an assistant manager for a little bit more money than im on now. Will the cycling boom continue or will i be job hunting again in a few years time?? Is it a good idea to work for a friend selling your passion??

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You have to think what you really want from life. I have had a couple of well paid jobs that were tiring due to the amount of travelling and stress. Now I am lucky to have a job close to home I enjoy which provides well for the family. I worked hard and sacrificed to get where I am now by careful planning, hard work and taking a few risks.

The trade off is better paid jobs normally are harder work with more responsibility and not everyone wants or needs that after a point.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Working in the lbs will kill your passion for cycling, and likely your friendship too. Hours commute isn't that bad, drive half/ride half, or ride all the way.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Depends where you are in life, I've taken the LBS route in a very high end lbs. I work all hours for a pittance but I genuinely love going to work, which I couldn't get in any other sector.

If that's what you want then roll with the LBS. If you want to be comfortable then take the agriculture job, the money will keep you in shiney bikes and the commute sounds positively wonderful.
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    I'm 31 been with the same company for twelve years need to move on. If either of these things came up alone would have jumped at them. Problem is they both turned up at the same time
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I worked in Agricultural engineering for a few years and hated it. Everything was so old fashioned and no one liked change or anything new. I worked for one of the biggest Agricultural companies in the UK and they still didn't trust computers!
    If your an engineer it's a bad career move.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Working in an LBS fuelled my passion, didn't kill it!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Always chase the passion not the money. I know plenty of people who've gone the money route and, while I'd surely like to have their money, I wouldn't for one minute want their life. Not even one of them has been made happy by the extra money they have.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Angus Young
    If you're still pondering this one I suggest you watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XRPbFIN4lk
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Always chase the passion not the money. I know plenty of people who've gone the money route and, while I'd surely like to have their money, I wouldn't for one minute want their life. Not even one of them has been made happy by the extra money they have.

Not necesarily true in all instances though, I wouldn't say I have a passion for my job but it's enjoyable, pays well and gives me the spare time I needto be able to do the things I am passionate about.

I could have worked in a job I would be passionate about but with far less money, I'm also passionate about being able to have a decent dinner on my plate and a holiday or two.

For most people I suspect it's about getting a balance.
  • Angus Young
    Briggo wrote:

Not necesarily true in all instances though, I wouldn't say I have a passion for my job but it's enjoyable, pays well and gives me the spare time I needto be able to do the things I am passionate about.

I could have worked in a job I would be passionate about but with far less money, I'm also passionate about being able to have a decent dinner on my plate and a holiday or two.

But in this case the OP seems to be talking about either or. That seems to be the whole thrust of the thread.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Briggo wrote:

But in this case the OP seems to be talking about either or. That seems to be the whole thrust of the thread.

You're stating people who chase the money (the 'extreme' apparently) are unhappy, I'm merely stating it's not true in all instances, but you were.
  • Angus Young
    Briggo wrote:
    You're stating people who chase the money (the 'extreme' apparently) are unhappy, I'm merely stating it's not true in all instances, but you were.

What I can tell you is, that in all the instances where I know 'rich' people intimately (and there are quite a few instances) they are, without exception, the most miserable people I know.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Briggo wrote:

What I can tell you is, that in all the instances where I know 'rich' people intimately (and there are quite a few instances) they are, without exception, the most miserable people I know.

Pretty much this, minimum time to give to anything except there 2 week holiday a year. i know people like this. loaded but no time to use it!
  • taking advice from other in this case might not a good idea course in future you don't want to say that "he/they made me do this"...hope you get the point.do what you want or need to do but do as your own idea...
  • Briggo wrote:

IME, money doesn't change people.

Some people are just miserable and some people are happy, irrespective of their affluence or lack thereof.

To the OP, most of the time we already know what decision we will make, but we want affirmation that we're doing the right thing. So, you may have already decided. If not, I'd be inclined to take the job that had the better medium/long term prospects. Which one would open up the most opportunities for doing other interesting (better paid?) things?
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Money. You can't eat love, but you can use money to buy food.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Ask yourself where are you going to be in 10 or 20 years time? Would you be happy to still be doing the same thing in a lbs for low money? Is there a career in the lbs where you can develop / branch out / get promoted / payrise ? Will it provide you a secure future ? Any pension scheme after you've been there 20+ years (this was the biggest decider for me) ?

When you have a problem, money solves everything.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I think after 7 months the OP may of made his decision by now.
  • Angus Young
    ben@31 wrote:

Really? Steve Jobs, Robin Williams, Jean Paul Getty, Howard Hughes, Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Jackson, Charlie Sheen, Tony Scott, Malcolm Young, Eric Clapton, John McAfee, Hans and Eva Rausing, Michael Hutchence and Alexander McQueen might disagree with you on that one.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    ben@31 wrote:

Really? Steve Jobs, Robin Williams, Jean Paul Getty, Howard Hughes, Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Jackson, Charlie Sheen, Tony Scott, Malcolm Young, Eric Clapton, John McAfee, Hans and Eva Rausing, Michael Hutchence and Alexander McQueen might disagree with you on that one.

I'm sorry if I resurrected an old thread. But it was still near the top of the first page and I did not see the date!

I once read Lance Armstrong's autobiography. When he had cancer he did not go to his local hospital for treatment, he went to the best available. No doubt in the USA you pay for the medical treatment. I would not fancy living in the USA on the poverty line with no health insurance.

I cant remember who it was but I once saw a good quote...
    I've been both poor and rich. And if I had the choice, I would not be poor.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Angus Young
    Sure, rich is better than poor. I much prefer when I'm rich to when I'm poor. But that's entirely different from money solving every problem.