replacing gear cables with inline adjusters

paulwood
paulwood Posts: 231
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I've got a rather elderly 10 speed Shimano Ultegra setup with inline barrel adjusters on the gear cables. There is another adjuster by the rear mech but nothing on the front

The time has come for new cables and cable housing. The question is do I need to refit the inline adjusters or is it not necessary. Also am I likely to be able to reuse the old ones or should I just fit new?

Apologies if it is a simple question but this is part of my "learn to do more stuff on my bike" project.

Paul

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Almost certainly reuse existing. When you put the new cables in tighten the inlines all the way to the stops and then back off a turn before you tighten and fasten off the cables. You then have adjustability both ways to fine tune your final indexing.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Yes, use the old ones. The one on the rear mech cable isn't totally necessary as there's usually an adjuster on the rear mech anyway. But the front one is always useful.

As for backing off a turn, as advised above, I'd disagree.
    If you think about it, you shouldn't need to slacken your cable after attaching it, you should only ever need to add tension.
    One click of the shifter moves the mech one gear spacing, if that shift has to take up slack then it'll not move the mech that one gear.
    If the shift isn't moving far enough after attaching a cable then adding tension will let it move far enough. So, you always wind barrel adjusters and in-line adjusters all the way in before re-cabling.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    thanks for the replies, I'll give it a go.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I meant back it off before you attach the cable to give you some scope for adjustment later