Gazelle Formula Race modernisation help

n3crophile
n3crophile Posts: 52
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I'm looking to modernise my 1990s Gazelle Formula Race and would be very grateful for following tips on compatibility!

It currently has old school 105 7 speed with downtube shifters, I am looking to go 10 speed sti.

First off, I am putting a 105 5700 10 speed crankset - what specification BB will the Gazelle take?
The bike has older 105 brakes, will these work with 5700/6700/7900 sti shifters in the same way that the 5700 crankset is supposed to?

Will my old shimano 105 front mech work with the new 5700 crankset?

Thank you so much! I would do some tinkering about myself but I'm recovering from a broken collarbone and can't even take off the rear wheel to check the freehub/ wheel situation yet! May ask some more questions as they come about, and will put her up in the gallery once she's done! :)

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I would leave it as it is... much more reliable components.
    However, if you want to go 10 speed, buy a groupset and swap it... you only need a couple of bits to convert your bosses into routing points for the gear cables.
    Your frame should be already 130 mm at the dropouts, hopefully, otherwise you also need to respace the rear triangle and re-align the mech hanger and dropouts
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I say do it. Fitted Athena ergo's and an athena rear mech to my Trek 2300 (1992) yesterday. I love it. It turns out all you need to do is fit the STI's and 10 speed cassette you may however need a rear hub change as 7 speed hubs do not take a 10 speed cassette. Your old rear and front mech and the chainset if in good order will function fine with a 10 speed chain. A 7 speed 1055 rear mech is compatible with modern 10 speed STI's. Your brakes will work fine as well.
    I have run 10 speed drive train on 8 speed chainrings and an 8 speed front mech without issue for quite some time.

so long as the shifters and mechs talk the same cable pull then all will be well.

This will allow you to upgrade with out spending to much. For example I am using Athena 11 speed ergo's and rear mech, with a 11 speed Miche cassette with a chorus 10 speed front mech and record square taper 10 speed chainset.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • n3crophile
    n3crophile Posts: 52
    Thank you both for advice!

I am changing crankset due to it being the cause of my collarbone snapple, but aside from that am glad to hear that my existing mechs and brakes will be fine. The shifters are just so darn hard to get a hold of - elusive and instantly seized on the classifieds, and insanely expensive first hand!

EDIT: I have just found some fairly cheap ones on ebay, though this seems due to them being marked ST-5601 as opposed to 5700. Does anybody know for sure if these will these be compatible in the same way?

Does anyone know what bottom bracket specification my Gazelle would be? Italian or English etc?
    Must be the correct bottom bracket to fit the 105 5700 set :)