Finally decided on the Giant Defy 2 - a quick question

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
After much thought and trailing around trying out bikes I have finally decided to go for the 2014 Giant Defy 2. After mountain biking for a couple of years, the Defy ticks all the boxes being comfy and well specced for what I need, ie something to compliment the MTB for use on the road.

The dealer I am using seems pretty good, but I have a slight reservation about the wheels on the Defy. I weigh 17.5 stones at the moment and the Giant S-Elite C Wheelset comes with 24 spokes at the front and 28 cross laced at the rear. The dealer said these wheels are pretty much bomb proof and I should be fine, he also checked with the in store mechanic who also thought they would be ok. The Giant website says that the weight limit for this bike is just over 20 stone, so presumably the wheels should be ok. At the end of the day I was going to just see how the wheels go, but if they are going to be a definite problem I would ask the dealer to do a wheel swap for something with a higher spoke count.

So I'm pretty set on the Defy 2 but are there any heavier riders that have this bike? And has anyone had any problems with the wheels?
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd try and see as keeping them is going to be the much cheaper option. Might well be fine. If you do end up changing I'd consider getting some handbuilts. Trial & error....
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I'm not your weight, but I'd ride the bike as is and see how you go on, I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that riders of a similar weight to you have been fine with the Giant stock wheels. Just remember to pick your lines and don't go crashing over potholes as if you were on your MTB. If not already fitted put some 25mm wide tyres on.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Thanks for giving me a bit more confidence, I'll try the wheels and see how I get on!

The bike comes with 25 wide tyres!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    I have the 2013 Defy 1 which I think has the same wheels.

No problems with the wheels over 4k miles and I'm about the 110kg mark.

I have however put Mavic Ksyrium Equipe on the bike 500 miles ago and noticed a significant improvement.