Giant Talon 2013 - Fork steerer tube ?

hairy_boy
hairy_boy Posts: 345
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

thinking of updating from my trusty old Giant Terrago to a 2013 Talon 2 (26" wheel).

Would be looking to transfer my Rockshox Recon fork (1 1/8th steerer tube).

Question is will the 2013 Talon take a standard 1 1/8 steerer tubed fork or does it use some new fangled steerer size/type ?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sure it will fit diameter size (with the correct headset) but is the steerer long enough?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hairy_boy
    Thanks for your response Nick, much appreciated.

I left the steerer tube long when fitting to the Terrago to allow for swapping to another bike later. The steerer length is 220mm so think should be fine.

Am I likely to need a new headset then if I remove the standard 'RockShox XC 30 w/ lock-out, 100mm travel' off the Talon and try to fit my Recon fork ?

I was hoping it would be a straight swap without the need to mess with the headset - is the 'RockShox XC 30 w/ lock-out, 100mm travel' likely to be something different to a straight/standard 1 1/8th sized steerer tube ?

Here is a link to spec for the 2013 Giant Talon 2 on Giants site:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You almost certainly will need to swap the crown races over. Most small bikes shops will do that when quiet for a pack of biscuits, if you take both forks in clean.
  • hairy_boy
    Thanks, yeh I can do the crown races = no probs with that.

But apart from the crown races, the question is - is the 'RockShox XC 30 w/ lock-out, 100mm travel' fork on the 2013 Talon 2 likely to be something different to a straight/standard 1 1/8th sized steerer tube ?

Here is a link to the spec for the 2013 Giant Talon 2 on Giants site:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
  • Giantmatt75
    Giantmatt75 Posts: 149
    I've got a talon mate and it's a straight swap :) just swap the crown race and fit to bike
  • hairy_boy
    Thanks Matt, that was just the answer I was looking for :D

Just seen the photos of your Talon 2 - looks awesome mate, really like the changes you have made !

Thanks again