do I need a new helmet before riding again?

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hi all.

I had one hell off a smash with another rider today. We ended up smashing helmets together at full speed. I am a bit tender but keen to get out riding again asap. Will I need to replace my helmet? It is a bit dinted from the incident...

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's your head.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But seriously, if it's dented (not sure whether that's the same as a dint?) you can get a decent new one for less than £20.

As they say, a no brainer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jaybo1973
    Dinted, dented? My head isn't right at the mo lol. I have ordered a decent replacement from on one
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Definitely new helmet time.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I had a crash in the week (hit a tree at 30-40kmh) and was told categorically by the medics if I hadn't been wearing a helmet (which was split in two) I'd be dead. Don't know about you, but I'm going to buy the most expensive helmet I can find for next time!
  • jaybo1973
    I have ordered an on-one endruro pro helmet. A huge improvement on by bell avanti; still I can't call it. It has saved me from a serious injury. Sounds like you had a near escape like me. My neck hurts this morning and my cheek is a little tender but thank God I was wearing one
  • cooldad
    Ferrals wrote:
    I had a crash in the week (hit a tree at 30-40kmh) and was told categorically by the medics if I hadn't been wearing a helmet (which was split in two) I'd be dead. Don't know about you, but I'm going to buy the most expensive helmet I can find for next time!
    They all have to comply with the same standards, so cost is no indicator of safety.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:
    Ferrals wrote:
    They all have to comply with the same standards, so cost is no indicator of safety.

'Bout time some mag did a test of which survives violent impact the best.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Except the standards aren't worth the time it takes to run the tests. More expensive helmets will often vastly exceed the minimums or also pass far harder tests like snell.
  • Angus Young
    Except the standards aren't worth the time it takes to run the tests. More expensive helmets will often vastly exceed the minimums or also pass far harder tests like snell.

That's why we need helmet tests that say more than 'comfy, well ventilated, looks good'. Batter 'em and give us a ranking.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How would you determine a good or bad result? A helmet which looks battered could have done a better job of absorbing the impact than one which looks perfect.
    Have you ever heard of a helmet not doing it's job properly?
  • Angus Young
    How would you determine a good or bad result? A helmet which looks battered could have done a better job of absorbing the impact than one which looks perfect.

Don't know what the answer to that it, but I'd guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility to figure something out.
    Have you ever heard of a helmet not doing it's job properly?

So no-one who wore a helmet ever died of a head injury? Though I take your point, most don't.

Be nice to know, though, which stands up best to a hammering.
  • ride_whenever
    And it's tough because we want low profile light airy helmets that offer loads of protection. The tougher the tests get the bulkier the helmets will become. It's that fine line of enough protection.
  • Angus Young
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Which is why I will spend as much as I can afford.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No dont buy a new helmet. Very soon I will need some new body parts and a healthy young MTBer can be harvested for lots of good bits. As well as not bothering with the helmet no drinking or smoking either.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ride_whenever
    Ferrals wrote:
    Which is why I will spend as much as I can afford.

Exactly, my last lid was a specialized tactic which was one of the most reasonable snell approved helmet I could find. Currently looking for a replacement thats a bit more enduro (said semi-ironically :? )

However currently off the list due to fit are: poc, ixs, fox, giro, tld I obviously have a funny head. I think however I might be spoilt by the fit of the kask mojito which fits like beanie! I want something that comfy that looks good, so I may just end up getting a poc as it's probably best.

Need to confirm MET and 661 before I'm compromise with poc
  • cooldad

And sometimes they won't. Motorcycle helmets are tested reasonably well, so Sharp test:

Cheap - Ducchini D832, RRP £60 - 5 stars.
    Rather more expensive - Schuberth S1 Pro - RRP £450 - 2 stars.
    Rather more expensive and the best as Moto GP riders use them - Arai Quantum - RRP £469 - 3 stars.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/compareview/496,272,344
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For ultimate safety you need a MET Parachute.
  • ride_whenever
    Noone needs a met parachute...