Problem with rear gears

Goldcoin79
Goldcoin79 Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have got a Trax mountain bike which I bought from Halfords and it has a shimano derailleur. The reason for my post is to see if any one can advise me on a problem I'm having with my rear gears. Last week I noticed that I could not get from gear 6 (the smallest cog) up to gear 5 so I tightened up the rear derailleur cable a bit and it then moved from gear 6 to 5 fine. I then found that at the other end it did not go from gear 1 to 2 so I loosened the cable a bit till it dropped from gear 1 to 2 but then I had the same problem as before going from gear 6 to 5. I have now got it set where I can get it to move from 6 to 5 and from 1 to 2 but with a real struggle. It doesn't seem be to do with where I've set the cable tension as if I move it, it will either stop gear 6 to 5 working or gear 1 to 2 working.

Ive only had the bike since November so I didn't think it would need a new cable so soon so I am well confused at this point. Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Re index properly - see Parktools link, if that doesn't work - try new cables. Six months of rain is plenty of time to destroy cables.
    If you replace them, replace inners and outers, and get stainless steel cables.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure all the bolts are tight, any loose bolt will introduce some slack.

The Trax is a bargain basement bike with bargain basement parts so longevity is not a strong point.

Have a read up on Parktools.com and go through the full indexing procedure for the rear mech, it could be you are fighting the stop at the first gear position.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.