25mm tyre query

pmurr
pmurr Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've got an Allez with Secialized's own 23mm All Conditions Elite tyres. I'm looking to get some 25mm tyres but my knowledge for the MTB scene is that, e.g. one manuafacturer's 2.0" tyres can be more like another's 2.1" ones. Does this scenario happen the the roadie world too?

So, I don't want to buy 25mm tyres & find that they are no different to my existing tyres as I'm looking for the extra rubber for a bit extra comfort. Could anyone please recommend a 25mm tyre/manufacturer that would actually be those magic extra 2mm bigger than my current ones?

Thanks. :)

EDIT: this Vittoria Rubino Pro looks reasonable - any knowledge on how it sizes up compared to Specialized's tyres?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Yes it does. Conti 4000s 23mm come up at 24.5mm on 15mm internal width rims. I have these tyres on 25mm (20mm internal width) wide rims and they are 26mm wide. Rim width has an effect. Another good try is the Vittoria Open Pave. On 15mm intenral width rims the 25mm tyre comes up about 24mm wide but on a 17mm internal width rim they are 25mm wide. These tyres come in a 27mm version too and the wider the better.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    My experience is that it is more noticeable on road bikes. You won't spot 1mm on a 2.5" knobbly.
    Each manufacture will be different. It's even different within manufactures and also within close tyres matches.
    I have 2 versions of the Michelin Pro 4 tyre. 1 is a mm wider than another on the same rim! A mm is a much greater % on a road rim. And rims are variable between manufacturer.
    To be sure you need to check what the tyre measures on the rim that you have.
    It's a pain.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    it doesn't vary quite as much as with MTBs. I like Michelin Pro Race 4s in 25mm.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • pmurr
    Thanks for the answers people, you've basically confirmed my expectation that it would be a trial & error exercise! 8)
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I would also compare the weight of the various tires.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • caedev
    caedev Posts: 81
    I just rode 70 miles on a new pair of Michelin Pro4 service course 25mm and they made a massive difference to ride comfort compared the the all conditions (I also have an allez). Can't recommend them highly enough.
  • pmurr
    I've ordered some 25c Continental Gatorskins, finger's crossed they'll be fine for me. 8)