will i notice much difference if??

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
i change from an 11-25 to an 11-28?

running a compact front, and sometimes struggle a bit up the hills. mtfu and overcome the 25 or change?

cheers

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I use various sets of wheels with a mixture of 11-25 and 11-28 cassettes.

There is quite a difference at the bottom end and when on any wheels with 11-25, there is a need for extra commitment on the up stuff.

11-28 cassettes are pretty useful as the ratios are still very close at the top end, but then some bigger jumps down to some much lower gears.

If you just need that bit lower gearing, then it is job done for sure.
  • ashleydwsmith
    ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
    cheers for that, so a good idea to change up then!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You just gain a 28 sprocket and lose one in the middle, if you are struggling it may help a little.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    I guess it depends on why your struggling but I found the switch a perfect match for me. It's not that I was struggling in particular but on the hills I have to climb it allowed me to up my cadence with no other changes. Basically it meant the gearing for me on those hills was spot on .. it's not a case of MTFU it's just simple mechanics :-)
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I guess it depends on why your struggling but I found the switch a perfect match for me. It's not that I was struggling in particular but on the hills I have to climb it allowed me to up my cadence with no other changes. Basically it meant the gearing for me on those hills was spot on .. it's not a case of MTFU it's just simple mechanics :-)
    ^+1: up your cadence, cycle more efficiently = faster, further.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you keep running out of gears uphill it is a good idea. I run a 12-30 just in case but so far very rarely need either of the two slowest gears.
  • I was in your position and opted for a 12-27 which i absolutely love as the gears are closer yet still have the extremities almost, my times have improved since
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • pete8uk
    pete8uk Posts: 63
    I'd go for the 28. I made the switch for the winter and have decided to stay with the 11-28 rather than go back to my 25

Some would say that the 25 will make you stronger, and they might well be right. But I've found the option of the 28 much better for 10-15% and up, or even on lower gradients during longer rides. Being able to spin rather than grind my way up climbs keeps me fresh longer! And I've never noticed the "missing cog" from the middle of the cassette.
    Weekend: Orbea Orca SLi2, Shimano Dura Ace C50s & Conti GP4000s
    Week: Boardman CX Team, Shimano RX31s & Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
    Twitter: @pete8uk, Strava: 1277229
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I just bought a 11-25 - waiting for delivery, I used to try and do as many hills in second gear on the 11-28 as I understand that 2nd gear is 24 tooth so good training for the new cassette.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I like a bailout gear, particularly on longer rides when the legs have gone but can still spin. I would go for the 28 but keep the gear ratio close by losing the 11. If you are thinking about dropping from a 34/25 then you sure as hell don't need a 50/11. When you spin out at ~130 in 50/12 then it is time to tuck in and concentrate on your lines...you will actually go faster.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Depends on the type of rides you do. If you live in East Anglia you will get away with a 25 tooth sprocket, but in hillier areas a 27 or 28 will come in handy. Better to be prepared than having to walk because you can't turn the gear.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Assuming you have a Shimano cassette, why not try Tiagra 12-28T, cheap as chips if you search online.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 750217.pdf
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    No point having the wrong gears. If you're in your smallest gear and you feel you could use a smaller one then that's what you should get. You don't have to use it but it'll be there if you want or need it.
    Ignore all that MTFU nonsense.
    DJ58 wrote:
    Assuming you have a Shimano cassette, why not try Tiagra 12-28T, cheap as chips if you search online.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 750217.pdf
    Yep, if you're using 10 speed shimano then you won't go far wrong with this.
    €17/£13.49 at Chainreactioncycles
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/e ... -prod67228