advice on removing Ex3 crank (hollow BB)

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I wanted some advice on how to remove this crank arm ( Cannondale EX3) as after I removed the initial 8mm bolt and was ready to use my crank removal tool, I realised the bottom bracket was hollow !

From what I can tell, from videos on a similar kind of set up, the non drive side should just come off and then the drive side can be hammered off. Its a bit tight and didn't budge when I tried this, but before I started hitting it with a rubber mallet, I just wanted to be sure that is intact the way to go?

thanks!

IMG_4233.jpg

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Looks like a octalink/isis bb remover would pull that off quite happily.

Alternatively if you don't need the cranks any more then go for a ride or cut a slot in the end of the arm and whack it with a hammer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's not the type with the axle as part of the drive side arm........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    r3hxn wrote:
    Hi guys,

I wanted some advice on how to remove this crank arm ( Cannondale EX3) as after I removed the initial 8mm bolt and was ready to use my crank removal tool, I realised the bottom bracket was hollow !

From what I can tell, from videos on a similar kind of set up, the non drive side should just come off and then the drive side can be hammered off. Its a bit tight and didn't budge when I tried this, but before I started hitting it with a rubber mallet, I just wanted to be sure that is intact the way to go?

thanks!

IMG_4233.jpg

Have a read

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... r-octalink
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    thanks. I came away a little more confused then I was at first. however, I took a time out and came back to it after a few days and had a brainwave! when I bought my crank extractor tool, it came with a small plug type thing that I had no idea what it was used for, used the extractor on a couple of bikes with no use for that plug so put it away in the toolbox. turns out, it was exactly the right size for this hollow bb, an makes just enough contact for the tool to push against and pop out the crank arm . turned out to be pretty easy in the end.

cheers

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress