Shimano bottom bracket replacement

dannydc
dannydc Posts: 14
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi All

I've got a fairly old Dawes Giro 300 (£125 about 5 years ago including the shoes!) which I've done a bit of well-needed maintenance on recently. The wheel hubs and brakes are sorted (well, much better than they were) but the bottom bracket has a bit of play in it and it's not as smooth as it could be.

I've been reading up and watching videos on replacing it. It's Shimano Sora groupset and I know it's square taper. I'm ready to order a tool from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370972002163) but I'm still not sure what I should replace it with.

I think a BB-UN55 is the right thing to go for but I'm not sure what size - is there a way to tell? Once the tool arrives and I can measure it but I'd like to order it asap so I can get back on the road! Sheldon Brown's site says the double is 110mm but this thread viewtopic.php?p=16051858 says 113 (although that could be a different dawes giro with a triple I guess).

Any advice?

ta
Danny

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    The only way to be sure is to remove the cranks and measure with a engineer's vernier if you have one, or the info may be printed on the unit somewhere.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Danny, I have a UN 55 110 mm BB for standard English thread (68) that I no longer need, it's brand new in the box, happy to post it or even fit it if you are local. You can contact me via my blog as per signature below
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It'll be written on the bb you take out.

They are simple to take out - do a quick google (offhand I think its non drive side first, clockwise, then drive side counter clockwise - double check this: definitely non drive side first just offhand can't be 100% sure if its counter or clockwise).

Use the biggest breaker bar possible to make life easy as possible.

Then really good clean of all threads, loads of copperslip, fit new bb, sorted. Set fire to old bb and job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    LHS bb is conventional thread (so counterclockwise to undo)