Anthem 27.5 - anyone got one or tried one?

mattham
mattham Posts: 75
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I'm looking at an Anthem 27.5, specifically this one:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 994/66600/

I have been looking at more 'trail' bikes like the Whyte T129 and Spec Camber but keep coming to the conclusion that they are overkill for the riding I do - singletrack and hills of Bedfordshire plus occasional trip to Cannock Chase and Thetford - so I have been trying to find an option that weighs less and will be ok on the riding I do....

So, has anyone got or tested an Anthem 27.5, what are your thoughts - good and bad?

As always, any thoughts and comments greatly appreciated..... :D

Matt

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for the Anthem 29. I had the 26" version which was excellent and tried the 29er. The big wheels really suited it.
    Personally I would have the 29 over the 27.5.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I was speaking to a bike shop owner last weekend and he said that even though he sells them he couldn't, hand on heart, recommend the 29 over the 27.5 as he didn't think 29 worked that well on the Anthem.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    Really?? Anthem 29ers must be one of the most popular fs cross country racers.
    The big wheels suited the Anthem better than the 26" wheels on mine. Im not a huge fan of big wheels but on bikes like the Anthem they just make for effortless riding.
  • Angus Young
    Really?? Anthem 29ers must be one of the most popular fs cross country racers.
    The big wheels suited the Anthem better than the 26" wheels on mine. Im not a huge fan of big wheels but on bikes like the Anthem they just make for effortless riding.

I didn't really get into it as I was late for something and trying to exit the shop but he named a few others he happily take a 29er from, for instance White, but not on the Anthem nor the Trance.
  • mattham
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've read that the 27.5 and 29er have very different characters, the 29er has a 71 HA where the 27.5 has a 69.5 HA. Looks to me like the 27.5 is a bit more like a XC/trail cross rather than a full on XC style of bike.

As I have been looking at bikes with slightly slacker and longer geo than I currently have, the idea being to get a do-it-all bike, but am not sure I want to cart the weight around of something like the T129 or Camber, I was wondering if the 27.5 Anthem might be a better fit. I keep looking at the Rose Granite Chief as it appears such stonking value, but again cant help feeling its a bit overkill for what I actually ride.

I mostly ride forest singletrack and on the chalk trails on top of the local Chiltern hills - any other suggestions would be most welcome, budget say £1500 to £2500, I'm just looking for the right bike in that range for the lowest price of course!

Has anyone actually got an Anthem 27.5 to make any comments from a position of riding some serious miles on one?
  • Angus Young
    MattHam wrote:
    Has anyone actually got an Anthem 27.5 to make any comments from a position of riding some serious miles on one?

I should have added to my above comment that I have ridden the 27.5 Anthem briefly. Didn't get a chance to pedal it up anything too demanding so can't vouch for its over all competence but, down hill it was fantastic. I immediately felt at home on it and was able to let loose with abandon right from the off. I'm thinking about getting one. Good looking bike too. And I say all this as someone who'd not really shown much interest in Giant before swinging a leg over this one.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Are the T129 and Camber heavier than the Anthem? I very much doubt you would notice if they are any heavier.
  • mattham
    Are the T129 and Camber heavier than the Anthem? I very much doubt you would notice if they are any heavier.

LOL, I only started looking at Anthem's in earnest because of one of your replies in an earlier thread!
    The Anthem is just as capable as the Whyte and Camber but is lighter and faster on the climbs.

Anyway, I've been mucking around with the Rose configuration on their website today. This comes to almost exactly £1650 delivered, which is what I can get the Anthem 27.5 2 for with £200 off list this weekend. The Rose just seems incredible value for the same money as the Anthem - Pike's, RT3, decent Shimano mix on gears, DT Swiss wheels etc, that its pretty hard to ignore.

Frame - GRANITE CHIEF, AL 7005, ab ca. 2,7 kg
    Fork - Rock Shox Pike RC 2P 150 mm, 15 mm Steckachse
    Wheels - DT Swiss M 1900 Spline 27,5"
    Tyres - Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snakeskin 27,5x2,35
    Crankset - Shimano Deore 42/32/24
    Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore XT SGS Shadow Plus
    Chain - Shimano XT CN-HG95
    Sprocket - Shimano HG 62
    Shift levers - Shimano SLX
    Front derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Brakes - Formula C1 203mm/180mm
    Seat post - Easton EA70 Zero
    Saddle - ROSE
    Handlebar - Easton EA70 Alu Flatbar 9°, 720mm
    Rear Shock - Rock Shox Monarch RT3
    Stem - Race Face RIDE XC
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nice but a fair amount heavier than any of the others you mentioned. Better coming down the hills though.