Need help in the world of hometrainers!

teiti93
teiti93 Posts: 28
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello BR, hope you can help me out here :)

I have now been cycling for almost a year. But unfortunately im getting a jaw surgery in 2months time, which will limit myself to indoor training at low heart rate for several of weeks. therefore i'm in the search of a decent hometrainer, it will afterwards be used during the winther.
My budget is +-300£, with all the extras(mat, tire and sweatprotector).
What i'm looking for is something that has good resistance, not noisy and preferably with a computer with heart rate.

I've found just one i find interesting, which is the tacx t2200, anyone who can comment on this one?
Other brands or models i should be looking at?

Cheers from Denmark
/Teiti93

Comments

• ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    My advice having used a Tacx is buy a Wahoo Kickr and use with Trainerroad and Sufferfest. It is so good I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to go out on the road.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    + 1 for using http://www.trainerroad.com/, the best thing to provide the motivation you would inevitably need because turbo trainers are incredibly boring to use without TR.

You have to subscribe (about £6ish a month) and you would need an Ant+ heart strap and cadence sensor to get the best out of it. The most recommended trainer to use with it is a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine which is in your budget. I can't comment on it myself because I use a Cyclops Jet Fluid Pro which also works fine with TR but the Kurt Kinetic does seem highly regarded by those that use them.

There is a long thread about TR in the Fitness Forum if you want more info.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Having used trainer road for a while I switched to cyclepo virtual training. That coupled with a wahoo KickR or cycleops powerbeam is about perfect.
    Trainer toad is good but I got a bit bored, with virtual training there are speed sensitive videos of some fantastic rides/climbs and you can upload routes or make your own, for example a favourite route near home and it replicates the climbs etc.
    It's really accurate too! Even better, you can upload the rides to Strava as it saves the ride in gpx format.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    When I say I'm finding it hard to get motivated to get out out on the road this is to a backdrop of long working hours, nagging wife, young children and crappy weather. Similar story to a lot on here.

Nothing I like more than going out for a club spin and getting in 120k or so but jumping on the trainer and hammering it out for 90mins four times a week seems to fit my lifestyle a bit more. I'm also finding that following a TR plan is getting results I have never had before, having said that I never followed a structured plan when training on the road.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Looks good...I'm on to it now, just downloading the basic to have a play. Thanks for the tip Nap.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'm off up Alpe d'Huez again this afternoon ;)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm off up Alpe d'Huez again this afternoon ;)

Thanks Nap - your post made me look again at the cycleops site, I hadn't realised Virtual trainer was available for iPad. Just downloaded it and it looks a lot better than KinoMap (which is what I was using with my Wahoo Kickr), as it has both virtual maps AND interval training. And a lot slicker interface.

If I decide to wimp out of the club run tomorrow (rain forecast) I'll give it a go :D
  • teiti93
    teiti93 Posts: 28
    Thanks guys, great help!

I have now totally dropped the idea of a tacx trainer. After looking in the TR-thread in fitness section, i have pretty much convinced myself to go for the TR + Kinetic Road Machine, seems like good value, and i have garmin heart rate and cadence/speed, so just need a garmin usb ant+. When i search on the trainer i get more hits on reviews than shops that sells the item? where do i get the best price?

Im not time-limited by work or anything, and im not planning on only doing indoor training. Its just intended to be for my recovering-process and winther training, perhaps more if i find it interesting enough :)