Building a full-suspension mountain bike.

samhep
samhep Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
My name is Sam. I am new to this forum.

I am looking to convert my hardtail mtb into a full-sus/downhill. I need some advice on doing this. I am a beginner with mountain bikes, I know the basics but not each detail and this is what I am struggling with.
I currently have a Felt Six 60 2013 which is a hardtail mountain bike for around £550 when it first came out in 2013, now the bike is significantly cheaper after being replaced by the 2014 model. Basically, I want to upgrade to a full-suspension mountain bike. I am struggling with what parts I should buy. I don't want to buy a separate bike, I want to build the bike using as many of the parts I can from my Felt Six 60. Obviously, I will mainly need a new frame and forks but I am unsure what frame/forks to get whether my other parts (wheels, brakes, cranks etc) are compatible. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, under £350 for the frame and under £250 for the forks.

Just to summarize, I want a full suspension frame which is compatible with the parts I'll list below and I want some good, cheap forks. If this isn't possible, I want the frame and forks with changing the least amount of current parts I have now. I don't mind if the parts are used, as long as they're good condition. Finally, it sounds picky but I preferably need a drink holder or a place to put one. :D

Thanks in Advance
Sam

Bike - Link contains bike specs - http://www.bestbikeproducts.com/m1b36s2p3707/FELT-Six-60-2013/RS_GB/14786

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    find out all the measurements for your current bike (BB, seat tube, drop-outs, front mech etc) and then find a suitable frame & fork within your budget.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    When you say downhill do you actually mean a proper downhill bike?
    None of the parts on your bike are really suitable for proper downhill
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And you have looked at which frames?
    You need to make a list of your current parts and sizes etc, then look at frames and do the same.
    Find a frame and forks that fit, pretty much everything else will work as long as the forks are QR.

But I don't think downhill means what you think it means, and if it does, it's unlikely top happen at that price.

I would sell your bike and find a decent full sus.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    When you say downhill do you actually mean a proper downhill bike?
    None of the parts on your bike are really suitable for proper downhill

wasn't really gonna go there but yeah - if you really mean Downhill then literally only the cassette, rear mech and shifter are gonna be of any use at all I'd say
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • samhep
    Everyone's saying that I said I wanted a downhill mountain bike however, I want a normal full suspension OR a downhill. I'll have anything that is good with full suspension pretty much.
  • samhep
    find out all the measurements for your current bike (BB, seat tube, drop-outs, front mech etc) and then find a suitable frame & fork within your budget.
    the seat post is the only part I know and it is 35mm.I'll try to find the other measurement
  • cooldad
    Not according to your link it isn't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • samhep
    It is. I had to change the seat clamp and the one I bought was 34.9mm and that was tight. Where I bought the bike from it said it was 35mm.
  • cooldad
    The clamp is not the seatpost.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • samhep
    Do you mean the length?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Diameter of seatpost, which is less than the clamp.

And is 30.9mm
  • samhep
    Ohh, I see, sorry