Rear shock setting?

melonheadboy
melonheadboy Posts: 28
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Trying to set sag to just under halfway on my X fusion 02 rl shock...seemed obvious visually but sag still near bottom after a ride?

Appreciate any input chaps

Comments

• hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Dunno about you but i set my sag about 20-30%,still use most of the travel on bigger drops
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • I have front shock quite stiff,put an extra 10psi in after purchase..the rear shock as a lockout switch and another dial which i presume is to set sag but after trial n error there's no change,doesn't appear to be broke so im guessing there's summat im not doing right?!?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's an air shock AFAIK, so twiddling dials is unlikely to change the sag. Try air.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Right u are cooldad,shall get the pump out.

Cheers mateys
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have front shock quite stiff,put an extra 10psi in after purchase..the rear shock as a lockout switch and another dial which i presume is to set sag but after trial n error there's no change,doesn't appear to be broke so im guessing there's summat im not doing right?!?

The other 'dial' is for setting rebound, you set your sag by increasing or decreasing the air.
  • That makes sense,complete novice...never had a full sus before so it feels weird having a lot of bounce at the back,granted longer rides have been more comfy but i do miss the rigid fun at the rear with hardtails.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Read / watch THIS.
    It will help you to understand and set up your suspension.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Nice one,thanks.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    but sag still near bottom after a ride?

To set your sag you don't want to be riding the bike, you want to be very gently standing/sitting on it. After a decent ride you should be using all or nearly all of your travel
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Set it to roughly 30% feels fine and yes most of travel used..many thanks