Dork disc

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Ok, so I got myself a chain whip and lock-nut tool and i've had the cassette off for a good clean. Went to put it back on and was going to leave the dork disc off, but wimped out.

So... how do I know for certain that my gears are properly set up and the dork disk isn't the only thing stopping the chain 'going over the top'? So that if I take the disc off, I can be sure I wont end up with the chain around the hub? And if that does happen, is that the end of my back wheel, or is that just a worse case possibility? Wanna get rid of it but worried about the consequences of the gears not being quite right and the chain coming off and causing damage....
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Got rid of the one on the back end of mine on Wednesday, bike looks nicer. Rear derailleur is set up correctly on limit screws but I guess I'll check more frequently now.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    With the chain on the smallest chainring shift to the largest sprocket and check if the rear mech contacts the dork disc, if it doesn't then you're safe to remove the dork disc, If it does then you need to adjust the L limit screw
    Use this Park Tools guide, scroll down to 'Derailleur Limit Screws (H-Screw and L-Screw)' http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    As said - limit screws ... check those and you're good to go.

Having a dork disk doesn't give you 100% protection anyway ...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Seeing the number of people who bring their wheels here with mowed drive side spokes, I suggest you keep it until you are 100% familiar with gear indexing and limit screws... repairs can be expensive, especially on wheels with proprietary spokes
    left the forum March 2023
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Limits should be set without the chain running through the derailleur. Just because the shifters only pull the derailleur to the largest sprocket doesn't mean the derailleur isn't able to move further. Also I set the limits without the cable clamped - just move the derailleur by hand.

Lots of information on the net. Basically read the installation instructions and you'll be fine.

But as Ugo says, if you're not 100% confident then leave it there.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Love my dork disc, makes me go faster...
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Love my dork disc, makes me go faster...
    I bet it's not as dorky as mine...

I sprayed the cassette with an acetone-based solvent once, and although it degreased the metal excellently, it also turned the dork disc white.

And since then the plastic lugs anchoring it in place have split, so now it spins quite noisily when I accelerate or brake.

CBA to take it off tho... maybe when I next change the cassette.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Mine will only come off the bike the first home the cassette comes off. I'm not losing skin off my knuckles purely for aesthetics.
  • Schoie81
    Well its off now!! So we'll see how we go. It wasn't only for aesthetics that I wanted it off - it had gone a bit out of shape and so when I was freewheeling it was rubbing on the spokes and making an annoying noise. I also noticed when I took it off that it had started to crack.

Anyway, I've set the limit screws so think all will be ok - Patrickf - did as you suggested, moved the derailleur by hand to set the limits so I shouldn't be able to get the chain past that top sprocket now! Will be checking it before every ride now for a while!!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW they do serve the purpose. Don't weigh anything. And ripping out spokes because you adjusted things wrong is, well.......
    Once you know what you're doing they can be dispensed with.
  • Schoie81
    50miles in and no problems, will keep my eye on the rear derailleur travel but happy its gone!! :)