Gonna build me some wheels

andy_s_t
andy_s_t Posts: 106
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I fancy trying some wider rims so I'm planning on having a go at building myself some new wheels.

The current plan is as follows;

Front:
Rims - H Plus Son Archetype (Gray)
Hubs - Novatech A171/F172 (Black)

Both 32 spoke 3x, as I'm a chunker at 110kg!

Spoke wise I'm thing DT Comp unless anyone has a better suggestion.

I also calc the spoke lengths at 291mm for the front and 290mm NDS & 288mm DS. Unless someone knows any better!

What are peoples thoughts? They will be used for general riding, most likely being shod with Conti GP4000 25mm tyres.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Ugo may be able to advise on spoke length. Personally I wouldn't bother trying to build decent wheels myself, too much hassle and requires quite some experience to make a good job.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yeah, all good, use 290 for the front and 288/289 or 288/290 for the rear. The 595 ERD published by H plus Son is incorrect
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    Cheers Paolo
    drlodge wrote:
    Ugo may be able to advise on spoke length. Personally I wouldn't bother trying to build decent wheels myself, too much hassle and requires quite some experience to make a good job.

I love learning new skills, and sitting in the garage building some wheels when the kids have gone to bed sure beats having to put up with the drivel my wife wants to watch on the TV!

I think I'm going to invest in a tension meter too.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Andy_S_T wrote:
    Cheers Paolo
    drlodge wrote:

I love learning new skills, and sitting in the garage building some wheels when the kids have gone to bed sure beats having to put up with the drivel my wife wants to watch on the TV!

I think I'm going to invest in a tension meter too.

just make sure your wife reads that last comment, should be all the tension you need!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ugo's lengths are what I use too odd that. The ERD of this rim is 593mm.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ugo's lengths are what I use too odd that. The ERD of this rim is 593mm.

I'd say it would be odd if that wasn't the case... :wink:

BTW, got the BB thanks... 103 is a much much better chain line than the 107 I had before and with the better Q factor no doubt I'll go 20% faster... :mrgreen:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I would have said you would have gone at least another 10% faster with the hollow axle LN-7922 it what a mag would say.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I would have said you would have gone at least another 10% faster with the hollow axle LN-7922 it what a mag would say.

Yeah, that was the plan, but I was put off by the alloy cups... in case they seize or break ... last thing I want is a BB that I need to drill out
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The alloy cups are far harder to round out than the plastic ones though :)

Not to mention they're exactly as easy to cut out as the plastic ones if the needs arrive.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The alloy cups are far harder to round out than the plastic ones though :)

Not to mention they're exactly as easy to cut out as the plastic ones if the needs arrive.

MIne are steel, like my balls... 8)