QR Front wheel thread too small for fork?

wonderer
wonderer Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone

Been a lurker here for quite a while and always like to do my research online before asking every question I have but can seem to find anything on this so need to ask the first newbie question. I just bought a Voodoo bike and while assembling the front quick release wheel I noticed that the thread that the forks sit on is pretty small. I have had bikes before in which the thread does not extend the entire width of the fork but these seem a bit too small?

14249702174_503348c584.jpgIMG_1407 by wonderer16, on Flickr

14250033685_7c6225995e.jpgIMG_1408 by wonderer16, on Flickr

Obviously these images show it without the clamp so will be tighter but doe this seem ok to all you experts or should the thread be a little longer and more "into" the fork?

Any help or opinion would be very much apreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Does look a little short. Disc side looks half a thread longer than the other so perhaps even that up. But it's not going anywhere once the QR does its job.
  • wonderer
    wonderer Posts: 3
    Does look a little short. Disc side looks half a thread longer than the other so perhaps even that up. But it's not going anywhere once the QR does its job.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Have evened it out a bit. So do you think it is enough to ride safely? I have never paid much attention before to the thread length but this jumped out at me as soon as I saw it. Just having visions of watching my wheel bounce off down the road before it all goes dark! :lol: