LEJOG nutrition and navigation

Giant Phil
Giant Phil Posts: 116
edited May 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hello

Forgive me, this is a two stage question:

My cousin and I are going to try to crack LEJOG in five days, which will no doubt hurt quite a bit, but we want to do something to tell the grand kids. We've both completed it previously in 10 and 14 days respectively. We're badly need some advice on a couple of points, Navigation and Nutrition.

Navigation: At the moment I'm using the Galaxy S3 Android phone and Google Maps to navigate with. It doesn't, however, seem to let you plan a route with multiple way points, which is no good when you ask it to navigate to somewhere 100 miles away, cos it takes a stupid route. What I really need is a way of navigating down a predetermined route. Is this possible? There seem to be many apps available for route planning, but none which let you plan a specified route and then sat-nav along that route and nothing but that route.

On the previous trips we've both used paper maps and a phone as a reference, but we want something a bit faster, that doesn't necessitate frequent stopping and is less open to interpretation (read: getting lost).

Nutrition: We've tackled a few training rides. Bike and general fitness are both good, but the problem I know we're going to have is nutrition, partly because of volume, partly because neither of us really feel like eating when we're riding. I figure we need somewhere in the region of 7000 cals a day. On training rides we've been getting this from isotonic drinks and cereal bars, SIS Electrolye and cake etc. What methods do people use to keep their nutrition up all day on a long haul ride?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!!

Phil
Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Navigation - hire a Garmin if you don't want to buy one..

Nutrition - such a personal question as everyone is different, you haven't mentioned if you are doing it supported or unsupported, this is pretty important as is where you are staying.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Lumpy Roads
    Lumpy Roads Posts: 91
    I agree with what Simon said regarding navigation.

I have just completed Lejog and the Garmin 800 led me straight through the centre of Bristol, Shrewsbury, Warrington and around the back lanes of Preston, without reference to any map or street sign.

The only time I ignored the Garmin (my wife had done the routes) I found that I had cycled 2 sides of a triangle and climbed an unnecessary hill.

Your previous experience will guide you on nutrition, the best advice I received was to eat what you normally eat and avoid gels like the plague, they were described as "The Devil's Sperm" by a more experienced cyclist than I. Enough to put me off.