carbon 26er or alloy 27.5???

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
A few months ago I had a Yeti SB66 carbon for a weekend test and really liked it. I really wanted to test the alloy as the carbon was well out of my price bracket :( (cant see myself settling for the alloy now though!!).
I was looking at building it up with parts from my blur LT along with a few upgrades including some carbon rims, XT brakes etcetc......
I have been looking at shipping the frame from the states as it works out SOOOO much cheaper but even so I would say that after ebaying all my surplace parts and frame I will be out of pocket to the tune of around a grand but will have a 26" "SuperBike".

............. So on to my question.............

Would I be silly to stick with 26ers?? (even one as good as this???) Over the years I have steadily upgraded my frames with good quality/condition 2nd hand ones and am ready for the next jump.... I could upgrade everything over to an alloy Bronson (always loved SC) and build it up to a similar spec to what I would put on the yeti or I could go carbon 26er?????
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would take the 26" Yeti over the 27.5" version. The review I read of the SB75 concluded that it's very different to the SB66. More of a trail bike than a hard hitting all mountain bike and doesn't ride quite as well.
    Manufacturers are still releasing new high end 26" wheels and tyres which would suggest they will be making them for a long time to pay for new tooling, dedign and development costs.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Did 26ers suddenly stop working?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • jonnyashworth
    jonnyashworth Posts: 547
    I'm not considering the SB75.
    I'm trying to choose between an alloy Bronson or a carbon SB66.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'm not considering the SB75.
    I'm trying to choose between an alloy Bronson or a carbon SB66.

I'm probably just being stupid but I'm finding your original post very hard to decipher but as for the above question I'd go alloy Bronson
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Carbon SB66 definitely.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Carbon sb66 any day- according to numerous reviews, the Bronson rides very harshly anyway, and 26" componentry etc. Is going very cheap but still works fine
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The 75 is a bodge, yeti suggested this in an interview. They love the 66 and have stopped making it because the demand wasnt there in the states.

The 66 is simply amazing, get one built up and get a bargin.