Which Bike is right for me? (Bigger guy)

CreativeGeek
CreativeGeek Posts: 9
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys.

First post on here so thought I might start off by asking the most important question, which bike is right for me?

I'm around 5"7 and 19 stone. I really wanna get back into biking for both fitness and hobby reasons.
I was actually worried I was to big to bike? Since I feel the tires will sag etc but oh well.. needs must.

I've been told I need a bike with decent thick tires, a good frame and a good budget! lol
My budget is between £300-400

I have found 2 nice looking and decent spec bikes so far, mostly because they come with what Ive been told I need, decent tires 2.25 and disc brakes etc..

Diamondback Response 2013 (26") £350
628-1736304UC1645023X.jpg

Claud Butler Cape Wrath 1 (29er) £399
1.163815CB-2014-CapeWrath1-40063-b4008.jpg

I'm sure they are many others to suit me so i'm interested to what you guys think of these and if you have any I should check out.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look decathlon and the new Rockrider 520. Sturdy, and better parts than those two (27 gears, hydraulic fork and brakes)
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I was 24 stone when I started riding again. 19 stone is nothing, don't worry about the bike, it'll be fine. High tyre pressures and check the wheels, but I never had any issues.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Have a look decathlon and the new Rockrider 520. Sturdy, and better parts than those two (27 gears, hydraulic fork and brakes)

Thanks for the swift reply mate, that bike looks really good. Had looked at loads and didn't even come across that before!
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I was 24 stone when I started riding again. 19 stone is nothing, don't worry about the bike, it'll be fine. High tyre pressures and check the wheels, but I never had any issues.

I was just worried since I had no idea what bike could handle my weight, thanks for the advice mate. Appreciate it!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Any bike, just have to set it up right.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    ilovedirt wrote:

Yes to the 'set it up right'
    No to the 'any bike' bit

SS's Rockrider recommendation is a good one
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    BigAl wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

No to the 'any bike' bit

Why's that? Most modern bikes (with the exception of BSOs and out-and-out xc race machines) are built to a decent standard.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • So I've had a look over the "B'TWIN Rockrider 520" that was advised in the first post, it seems great and I think i'm going to buy that!

However all information is included apart from the tyres, it doesn't state if they are 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.25 etc.. does anyone know?

It only says this:
    Hutchinson Python tyres with versatile profile: a market benchmark.
  • mcnultycop
    I wouldn't get hung up on the tyre width. If you can get yourself to a Decathlon go and throw a leg over the bike to get the sizing right, and check then.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

No to the 'any bike' bit

Why's that? Most modern bikes (with the exception of BSOs and out-and-out xc race machines) are built to a decent standard.
    The frames maybe, but they hang cheap nasty parts on them - especially rubbish forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So I've had a look over the "B'TWIN Rockrider 520" that was advised in the first post, it seems great and I think i'm going to buy that!

However all information is included apart from the tyres, it doesn't state if they are 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.25 etc.. does anyone know?

It only says this:
    Most stock tyres are rubbish anyway. Try them and when you're ready start a what tyres thread and loads of random people will post loads of random recommendations.
    Obviously my random recommendation will be the right one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    So I've had a look over the "B'TWIN Rockrider 520" that was advised in the first post, it seems great and I think i'm going to buy that!

It only says this:
    Most stock tyres are rubbish anyway. Try them and when you're ready start a what tyres thread and loads of random people will post loads of random recommendations.
    Obviously my random recommendation will be the right one.

I understand stock wouldn't be the best but are good enough to start out with.

I just didn't know if anyone had a Rockrider 520 on here and knew if the tyres were 2.1 or 2.2 etc.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Just to throw a spanner in the works have a look at one of these in you can http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... ke-p275612
  • snowster wrote:
    Just to throw a spanner in the works have a look at one of these in you can http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... ke-p275612

Have you any specific reasons I should pick this over the roockrider?

I'd appreciate that if anyone were to list bikes they could inform me how they compare to what's already been advised, thanks!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These are the best two bikes for this cash, by miles. Go with what fits best. Larger riders do not need larger tyres, but you can always change them.
  • supersonic wrote:
    These are the best two bikes for this cash, by miles. Go with what fits best. Larger riders do not need larger tyres, but you can always change them.

Thanks supersonic. Problem is I'm not near a store that sells these so I would be purchasing online. That's why I was asking what was best out of these 2.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Try google great reviews and for the money can't be beaten but if you can try both before you buy
  • snowster wrote:
    Try google great reviews and for the money can't be beaten but if you can try both before you buy

Yeah I can't try any before I buy, so need to see what others say and i'll purchase within the next 1-2 days if no more bikes are advised :)

Thanks
  • mcnultycop
    I've been in Decathlon today for some bits, so checked out the tyre size on the 520 - 2.0" in cads the OP is still asking.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    I've been in Decathlon today for some bits, so checked out the tyre size on the 520 - 2.0" in cads the OP is still asking.

Excellent, not the answer I was hoping for but thanks very much mate.
  • mcnultycop
    I've just gone from wider tyres on my hardtail to 2.0s. A bit less cushioning but a bit less rolling resistance.