Allez sport upgrade - cassette & tyres help

stash36
stash36 Posts: 31
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
So I've so far added the 2013 Sora shifters to my 2012 Allez (massive improvement losing the thumb shifters), and I'm now changing the wheels. 4000 miles in the standard DT Swiss have been great but need a bit of a service. I'll get that done and then save the wheels for winter / the ride to work. Couple of questions...

I have some Zondas on the way, and I'd like to get an extra cog on the cassette. The standard Sora cassette is 12-27. I'm going to the alps this summer so would like a 28 cog. Shimano do a HG61 11-28 cassette, will this work with my derailleur? I know this is asked repeatedly but there is so much contrasting info out there, including the questions on wiggle, which categorically state "yes you can", and "no you can't"!
If I still have doubts about it I may just get an Ultegra 9 speed 12-27, and save a bit of weight. Assume this will work with the usual KMC 9-speed chain?

Finally I'm going to move to 25mm tyres, there looks to be plenty of room for these on the Allez, again can anyone confirm these will be fine?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Yes 25mm tyres are fine on an Allez, I have them on my wet bike.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • caedev
    caedev Posts: 81
    I put a sram 11-28 on my allez sport and it works fine. Also have 25mm tyres and there's plenty of clearance for them.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited May 2014
    Yes they will be fine:
  • stash36
    Thanks all for the replies, sounds promising.
    I'll report back when I'm done!
  • stash36
    Next silly question gents.
    When I fit the 28 cassette do I need to lengthen the chain slightly, or same number of links as the 27? (Using a new chain with the cassette naturally)
  • caedev
    caedev Posts: 81
    I replaced my chain at the same time as the casette and the new the one was 1 or 2 links longer from memory. If you've had your chain a little while it'd probably be worth pairing the new casette with a new one as they do wear over time.
  • stash36
    Ok the cassette is fine, tested today on my commute and it jumps onto the 28 cog no problem.
    Tyres arrived today so popped them on this evening and I'm ready to go. Just need to change the chain sat am before I'm off out to the peaks. Lets see if I can get up Holme Moss!

IMG_00000069.jpg

Here's a before and after. I want some black 105 calipers and decent pads next and then I'm done for now.
    Can't wait to test the bike but no opportunity until Saturday.

IMG_20140529_202139.jpg
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Changing from silver to black calipers will help you fly up the climbs.
  • stash36
    First ride, long one up the Isle of Sky and Holme Moss climbs.
    I love the wider tyres and the bike descended beautifully, seems more sure footed. The wheels rolled nicely but can't say it was dramatically different.
    Got up holme moss for the first time in one go today, partially 'cos Mr Froome was on my tail, I'm sure the 28T helped however!

froome.jpg
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Just a silly question from me.. Why didn't you put a 11/30 cassette on?
  • stash36
    Because I read the 28t is the absolute max for the std sora derailler.
    TBH the other cassette had 24-27 as the last two cogs, and this one has 24-28. Difference is slight, but I actually miss the 27. If 30 was considerably helpful on something like the Moss, I would find that beneficial but the loss would be huge across the range on a 9 speed. Would need to go to 10 or 11 speed for that benefit and the have a similar range.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    stash36 wrote:
    Because I read the 28t is the absolute max for the std sora derailler.
    TBH the other cassette had 24-27 as the last two cogs, and this one has 24-28. Difference is slight, but I actually miss the 27. If 30 was considerably helpful on something like the Moss, I would find that beneficial but the loss would be huge across the range on a 9 speed. Would need to go to 10 or 11 speed for that benefit and the have a similar range.

OK.. just wondered, I didn't know what size cassette's you could have used.. good luck anyways.. :D