My first bike

Andy99Mack
Andy99Mack Posts: 8
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello,

So looking for my first bike and was thinking of the cube peloton race or giant defy 1.

I saw this on ebay. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1416262274

Is that a good buy? I've yet to try one for size. I'm 6 foot 2. I saw you should get the next size up for cubes.

Anyone's got any opinion on this buy?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Looks good to me, you are the same height as me I have tried Cubes and 60 is the size I would get. Seller has good feedback. However Chain reaction have them new for £519 so maybe not such a bargain.
  • plodder73
    Also its a triple, fine if thats what you want.
  • Andy99Mack
    Andy99Mack Posts: 8
    It's a triple? I don't understand? Is that the model? I noticed it didn't say it was a race.

Where's the cheapest place to get either of those 2 bikes?
  • plodder73
    Its a triple because it has 27 gears, 3 at the front x 9 at the back. Use a bit of googling to find the cheapest, I would imagine the Defy1 is quite a bit more but I haven't looked.
  • plodder73
    Again I think that is the right size or you, Giants tend to measure big so large is the right size for you I would imagine. This is a compact double as opposed to a triple and it has higher spec parts, Tiagra as opposed to Sora.

if it were me I would go for the Giant, make sure its not nicked. If you can get it with a cheeky offer it will be a great first bike.
  • Ok so still trying to buy my first road bike.

So im still liking the Cube Peloton Race. But also thinking about a CAAD8 or CAAD10.
    Whats the best place to get a 2014 bike on discount as we are coming to the end of the year?
    And whats the difference between the CAAD8 and CAAD10 if they have the same group set.

Cheers
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    the caad10 is a better frame - lighter weight and stiffer and i think the caad10 also has better wheels
    heres a good deal on one

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p523 ... 0-105-2013
  • so went into Billy Bilsland today to try out a CAAD10.

they had a Gensis steel frame they said it was reduced from £3k to £1500. Had ultegra gear set, fancy wheels, tyres, seat etc.

Is it a better buy than the CAAD10?
  • Andy99Mack wrote:
    so went into Billy Bilsland today to try out a CAAD10.

they had a Gensis steel frame they said it was reduced from £3k to £1500. Had ultegra gear set, fancy wheels, tyres, seat etc.

It may have a better geometry suitable for a 1st bike
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Andy99Mack wrote:
    so went into Billy Bilsland today to try out a CAAD10.

If it's the Genesis Volare 20 discounted to £1500 - just buy it and don't overthink things.

You will not be disappointed - Genesis bikes are very well regarded and classy.

The CAAD 10 Ultegra is a close to full RRP for your £1500 so the Genesis would be my choice
  • just googled it and yeah looks like it was a Volare 20