Hydraulic brake advice required thanks

markybhoy71
markybhoy71 Posts: 20
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi iam looking for advice please,at the moment I have normal disc breaks on my big and looking to upgrade to hydraulic ones,how hard is it to change and is there anything extra I need to condsider in fitting them like will the old routers be ok to use,the bit am no sure about is running the cable cause on the bike just now I have half normal cable with outer coating and the other half is bare wire,how do I get the new cable through the wire clamps do they to be drilled out to cable diameter,thanks any help would be great,

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    First question has to be - does your frame have the mounts for disk brakes and are your wheels disk ready?
  • markybhoy71
    Yeah my frame has mounts and already has disk breaks the roter sizes are 160mm
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you have separate brake levers and shifters?
    Easiest way of routing the hose is to use cable ties.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the cables use full length outers, then it's easy to swap, if they don't, you can use cable ties, or bolt in cable guides, or drill out the stops and pass the hose through, though it does mean splitting the system to do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markybhoy71
    It's seperate breaks and shifters I have got looks like I might have to cable tie them then but that does not look to tidy thought ideally running it through the stops would look the best but might be bit of a hassle eh
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Drilling out the stops is a hassle, but so much neater!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.